SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Election

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drachenwürfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:57 am GMT    Post subject: Election Reply with quote

Congratulation for the reelection for President Obama.
NTV made a poll in Germany, nearly 70% of the people Heer would have votet him.
But we votet for Angeka Merkel two times, so why they ask us???
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four more years, baby!
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polls are in:
Obama is President.
MJ General use passed in Colorado and Washington, but failed in Oregon.
Same Sex Marriage passed in Maine, Washington and Maryland

MJ Being Marijauna
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we passed MJ laws and marriage equality. Washington strides ever forward, unhindered by those with tired, outdated morality.
AC
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to open a can of worms, but politics is kind of a thing of mine, and the Washington ballot initiatives raise a couple items worth consideration.

First, the changes to the domestic (i.e. marriage) laws to include same-sex couples had already been passed in a bill that the governor signed earlier this year. However, opposition legislators generated sufficient public disapproval to force (by state law) the measure to referendum prior to its enactment as law, delaying effect by at least six months. It passed anyway, reflecting (perhaps) that the legislature actually understood popular will, at least on this front. The affair seems to have served principally as a petty parting shot from disgruntled parties, and is interesting largely as another (disquieting) insight into the manner in which democratic politics are conducted.

(It's not the only perspective, but note that it is not unknown for parties to run issues like this to the ballot in an attempt to increase voter turnout for "their side." Even if they expect to lose the electoral votes for the presidency, they can reach for gains in local elections. The issue's publicity can also be used to try to remind voters in more hotly-contested states "what's at stake" in the general election. It's all kinda gross and makes one want to think about fifth monsters instead.)

Somewhat more noteworthy going forward will be seeing how the marijuana legalization plays out. California had laws permitting controlled distribution for medical purposes on their books for a little while, which resulted in federal action this year, ostensibly against dispensaries that were operating outside the bounds of the law, but which drew criticism for imprecision. There are some within the federal government of the opinion that federal drug laws supersede any state attempt to regulate otherwise (generally a reversal of position as such figures tend to be "states' rights" advocates in other areas).

Notably, of course, Washington elected to legalize as a regulated substance (like tobacco products), and not to specify medical necessity, which could bring state-federal tension to a head more readily. There have been mixed signals as to the specific position this theoretically somewhat progressive administration will take vis-a-vis the "War on Drugs," so it could end up being put off indefinitely as politically delicate or resolved peaceably as politically expedient. Of course, the DOJ is . . . but I'm trying to keep this clean, and will just reiterate that even to an objective (and ambivalent) observer, it's still interesting for its legal ramifications.

I am concerned that in an attempt to keep this free of opinion I may have executed the crime of popular news media, providing facts without context and context without substance. However, if it helps people think about issues in real terms rather than as a conversational topic, it's a start.
Kevsquatch
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sasquatch wizard cabal made us vote like that, we were under psionic domination! We actually love repression and bias here in Washington.

Last edited by Kevsquatch on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC wrote:
Not to open a can of worms, but politics is kind of a thing of mine, and the Washington ballot initiatives raise a couple items worth consideration.

Mine too, and I live in Washington.

Quote:
First, the changes to the domestic (i.e. marriage) laws to include same-sex couples had already been passed in a bill that the governor signed earlier this year. However, opposition legislators generated sufficient public disapproval to force (by state law) the measure to referendum prior to its enactment as law, delaying effect by at least six months.

December 9th is the earliest that same-sex couples can marry. The bill is set to be signed on the 6th, and Washington has a three-day waiting period on marriage licenses.

Quote:
Somewhat more noteworthy going forward will be seeing how the marijuana legalization plays out.

Probably similar to California, with a large difference: people being pulled over or stopped by police won't be arrested for having marijuana on their persons. There will be raids on dispensaries or manufacturers, but the citizens won big here.

For the record, here are a few details of what the law means:

1. Citizens over 21 can purchase pot at licensed stores in quantities of up to one ounce of "usable" marijuana, sixteen ounces of marijuana-infused foods in solid form (think cookies, etc), or seventy-two ounces of marijuana-infused foods in liquid form (tea, etc). I'm unsure if those are the same quantities that a person can have on them without legal issue, or if that amount differs.

2. There is a $250 fee to apply for a license to produce/sell, and the license itself costs $1000 to purchase and to renew. Marijuana will be taxed as an excise, with all marijuana-related tax revenue earmarked for certain programs (education, health care, substance-abuse prevention, etc).

3. No advertising for marijuana products within 1000 feet of various buildings (schools, government, etc), nor on buses/trains/etc.

4. Driving while under the influence of marijuana use has been defined as 5 nanograms per milliliter of whole blood.

There is some more info for you to chew on, and here is a link to the full text of the law as it now stands:

https://wei.sos.wa.gov/agency/osos/en/press_and_research/PreviousElections/2012/General-Election/Documents/I-502_complete_text.pdf
AC
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormywaters wrote:

December 9th is the earliest that same-sex couples can marry. The bill is set to be signed on the 6th, and Washington has a three-day waiting period on marriage licenses.

Right. The bill, when originally signed in (I think) February, would have become law in June. The petition to force it to referendum was filed in June in advance of its realization, the result being that the rights are now being granted in December instead, hence the "six months."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Totally off-topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: