SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues with my collection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Issues with my collection Reply with quote

I might be liquidating/consolidating my collection.

When I first started this game, I wanted to play one army based on a certain theme. Like many new players I chose Undead. At first it was black magic but then later turned into a swampland thing.

As my experience grew I realized, hey this is unbalanced and that is unbalanced in my dice. I need more red and blue magic. This is true, variety is key. To win you must have all the angles. And its a good thing, especially for the competitive player.

But what happened to my army? Its now just a huge collection of dice. Nothing wrong with that at all, I am stressing that because I have nothing against the collector or the competitive player.

I play warhammer also. I spend time planning my orcs and goblins. I paint them and build the models. The hobby end of the game has about 2/3rds the time put into the army over gaming. But in the end win/loose I really enjoying bring my army to the table.

Like my Orcs N Goblins army, I put a LOT more time into my swamplands army. Win or lose they are my favorite. I put time and effort getting the prints and colors of the Goblins and swampstalkers they way I like it. Even the Swampland terrain dice are the colors I wanted. I like variety, but I think I might go back to just my Swampland armies. (Undead/Goblins/Swampstalkers/Treefolk (of course matching eldarim)). They will be my one army. Rather than just a race at a time, but those 4 races consisting of my single army. Just so I can enjoy them that much more.

This means to me, time to buy treefolk, but also means time to get rid of everything else.

I dunno why, but I would be happy to see more of this. Folk gathering around their one army. A Highlands army (Dwarves, Lava Elf, Scalders) or a Flatlands army (Feral, Zons and Firewalkers). Coasland army (Corals, Firewalkers, Frostwing) or maybe its Death (Undead and the Necromantic Lava Elves or the Death mages of the Goblins). Whatever brings 'your army' together.

I certainly collect all the items of the army. Gold/Green/Black and I never did get past seeing Eldarim as part of the 'items' collection myself. Though I know 2 very dominate Eldarim players.

Yes I think I will make this change, as I set out to long ago.

Who else collects like this? And not just all the dice, or the opposite end of that spectrum, just one race?
andymonte
dragonsteed
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started out, I tried to just stick to races that I thought were cool-looking (Goblins, Undead, and Treefolk), but the completist nature of me overwhelmed and I just had to have everything and all of the prints.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha ya. I am no completist, It was my competitive nature that got me.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with a little of this and a little of that. Then I decided I really like Treefolk, so I got rid of the rest for Treefolk. Then I started completing that set and looked to a new race.

My girlfriend liked Amazons, since they're women, so I started collecting those. Then that got near completion, so I started piecing together more races.

Now I've got near-complete "playsets" (by my standards) for eight races: Treefolk, Scalders, Goblins, Dwarves, Amazons, Swamp Stalkers, Undead, and Coral Elves. I don't know what my next will be, yet.

I like to collect, and I like variety. I like to play whatever I feel like whenever I want. At the moment, since they are now in print, I'm working on sets of magic items. Almost done with my set of terrains as well.
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm... I'm quite new to the addiction, let me see...
I like dice, this is something I grew around 7 or 8 years ago (I'm 36). then I've discovered Dragon Diceâ„¢ existence, but passed on it for some time.

A couple of years ago I bought the book a cast of fate, with the included die. it went for one uk pound, so that one was easy ( I tried to read the book but TBH I don't think I like fantasy that much). Anyway the dragonslayer has been alone for quite some time, until I bought 48 Firewalkers kickers (all they had) somewhere around March of this year, I think.
I've later added 3 battlefield kickers (and two battlegrounds mats) so at least I came to know how terrains were made...
In the meanwhile I followed the forum and tried to understand a bit of the game itself.
Lastly, this summer, I took the decision (I've "bitten the bullet" as you say) and bought 20 feral/undead starters plus 20 scalders kickers. maybe I should have bought a bit more, like 24 each, don't know... anyway I've yet to unpack the scalders (I've opened the packs, so I know which dice I have, but they are stil in their bags).

When I think to it, I'm tempted to trade away somehing ( the unseelie) so to complete the other races, but it's hard for me to part wih them... even the firewalkers, of which I have plenty, are hard for me to decide if/what trade away.

this last part has much to do with the fact that I'm still learning the game, and don't know how to choose what could be useful to me and what not, so I end up keeping everyhing.

the way I see it is that I've already payed them, I don't need the money back, so I can keep everything and decide later on. But for how I am, I know I'll hardly part wih anything. Surely, instead, I will add new stuff at some point (altough I need to recover my game-found, so no big buys for me im the near fuure...)

danilo.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time trading because I eventually want a healthy collection of everything to have decide to choose from to build any army. A fool's dream. Smile

Right now, I've started focusing on some races more than others. I've decided I'm willing to trade off most of my races that I don't play with (Swamp Stalkers for instance), in favor of collecting what I need for the other races that I do play with. Also, I only have 2-3 starters worth of Swamp Stalkers, so until I get more, it doesn't do me any good to have them anyways. But my ultimate goal is to have a healthy collection of all the dice to be able to choose most any army I want at any time.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, Dolus. That seems to be the general consensus. I suppose I am just an odd one like this.

Still, after last night, I went through everything I dont intend to stay with and am auctioning off just short of 1000 dice.

However, I did start my Treefolk off. I am looking forward to adding them. I am left with Undead/SwampStalker/TreeFolk/Goblins and I am really just going to stick to my guns and leave it that way this time.

I did not realize I had over 2000 dice. Between this, and my odd way of gaming, I knew I had to consolidate/liquidate.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think what you're doing is a smarter way to collect and play. You're mostly collecting what you need for what you play. I'm collecting dice that I've no intention to play anytime soon. I just want to collect to build the collection as well as have them on hand for the eventuality when I might get to use them.
loligarchy
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still fairly new to Dragon Diceâ„¢ as an adult collector so I'm still a little torn on how to handle collecting dice. For the most part I'm actually with you Skawilly.
I have been steadily building up my collection for the races that I do play and enjoy but in the end I am basically the sole owner/arbitor of dice for the group that I've been getting into the hobby.
In a way as a result of this I've been doing a little bit of both sides of the coin. My friends have all shown interest in various races that are all exceedingly different so I've had the luxury of building up armies for everyone.
Personally I love Leopard Riders Goblins
My Girlfriend has taken a great shining to Swamp Stalkers
One of my friends has yet to really decide upon a favorite, instead opting to mix and match races for strategy.
Finally my last friend enjoys the unique attributes of Undead and Scalders.

I'm personally a little glad that those who have taken an interest in the game around me have such varied tactics as it has made the game quite a bit of fun and we really do see basically all of our races played, with the exception of Lava Elves, whom nobody in my group likes.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to have a lot of options. I have a couple of races that I really enjoy (Scalders and Swamp Stalkers at the moment), but I like to mix it up, and I like to have lots for friends to use when we play. They can try all sorts of races and find a fit.

Plus, I'm working on the Dragon Diceâ„¢ RPG game, so I need lots of character options for my gaming group. Smile
Kevsquatch
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself started with firewalkers, they were my favorite race back in the day, and when i came back to the game and found flaming shields happened i was pretty stoked. I also prefer guerrilla tactics I'm nearly any game when feasible so that's another reason I like them

As I pulled in random ebay lots I found I had many more dice than I could personally use and my priorities with this game are play, followed by trading with absoulutely no desire to 'collect' whatsoever. My stockpile of dice is completely fluid, any particular amount of strategies could be floating through my head at any given time, and the dice that don't correlate to those strategies are up for trade.

I do like to be as poly-strategic as possible, and at the very least 'good' with every race/combination of races. I'm good with every color in MTG, every character in SBB (except Dedede) on and on and on, its how I like to be so thus I have complete sets of nearly every race BUT, those dice mostly facilitate trades or go to friends in faraway places with no gaming shops. I absolutely will not get into this pseudo hoarding a.k.a. collecting aspect of this game, my goal is to hook you up with what you need, get hooked up with the dice I need, and then attempt to crush each other in play.

So I understand where you're at Skawilly, my stock of dice grew out of competitiveness, not a desire to collect, and you're good with those goblins dude, thinking of playing against you whilst you're armed with a good treefolk army scares me a bit. Maybe next time I'm in Portland we can do that.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe next time I'm in Portland we can do that.

Ya man, sorry we did not play more than 1.
I am glad though, that I am auctioning off the extra's. gotta help pay for them treefolk hehe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Dice discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: