SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tournament Style Built to Sell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matttrach

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Tournament Style Built to Sell Reply with quote

Hello,
I am the owner of a small online store called Bob and Steve Games, and I would like to introduce and sell Dragon Diceâ„¢ in a single tournament similar to Magic The Gathering’s booster draft.
This means that each player would pay a small amount to enter the tournament, then they would all sit down, open new packs, and build a new army based on what they opened.
This allows for an inexpensive taste of the game with everyone on the same playing field as far as rarity and content of dice.
The reason this works so well for retailers is that if players like the format, then they keep showing back up and paying to play.

It also works really well for conventions and demos because people don't need to already know about the game before hand.

I was thinking of using kicker packs for this means, ie. having a kicker draft, but I noticed that the kickers do not come with a terrain dice.
How would you suggest setting up a game in this fashion?
Is there a terrain dice set?
Is there a pack with a kicker that comes with a matching terrain dice?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and thank you for your interest!

I'm a bit surprised I'm the first one to reply to this as they do this exact format in the north west of the US.

They just call it a starter draft. They open as many of the starters as their are players and then players take turns selecting by the type of die. i.e. everyone selects a monster (then another), then everyone selects a 3pt unit, then terrains, then dragons. etc.

As for your questions about the new kickers. You are correct there are no terrains in them. That was by design. What I might suggest is doing a starter for every two players. This will introduce those races and a starter has enough terrains and dragons for two players.

Alternately, you could put a Battlefield kicker into the tournament style. This is listed as an expansion, but only has terrains in it. It doesn't have every terrain combination in it, but it would provide some terrains for the users to select from.

Finally, what I do at Gencon for our sealed Single event is to package up random terrains with a pair of dragons. I distribute those randomly and the dragon colors indicate the race you are playing with sealed kickers. (so its not really a draft anymore and I'm cheating because of my access to large numbers of terrains).

We do not currently have a pack which comes with a matching terrain and there are no plans for it. Part of the reason is that while some races do have a 'matching' terrain, others do not. Those races work at any terrain. We may come out with a terrain/dragon pack at some point in the future, but it would still be 4 random terrains (or rather a random terrain of each of the four basic types).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Retailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: