SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A poll for 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

In 2013, which would you rather have:
new products to be released
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
Existing products to be immediately reprinted
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Users Voted : 23
Total Votes : 23
This poll has expired.
Detailed Results

cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 pm GMT    Post subject: A poll for 2013 Reply with quote

I'm looking for opinions from our most loyal players and shareholders.

In 2013, which would you rather have: Existing products to be immediately reprinted or new products to be released? (With the expectation that the other option would occur in 2014)

Please vote on the poll and post any comments about why you voted that way.
Drachenwürfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can´t vote on the poll, but i can tell you i would like to see more new products
Beginners have still enough to buy, and collectors like me need more stuff...
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drachenwürfel wrote:
I can´t vote on the poll, but i can tell you i would like to see more new products
Beginners have still enough to buy, and collectors like me need more stuff...

I also can't vote.

My instinct answer would've been to reprint existing product so that no dice are "out of stock" and unavailable for a long time.

But thinking about it, I don't have any empirical data, but I would imagine new product is more likely to provide more income than more existing product, which gives you guys more ability to do more stuff. And I'm really looking forward to new stuff (like new monsters!).

So my vote would be for new stuff.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:

I also can't vote.

Grumble Grumble

I can... weird...
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't vote either. New product all the way for me!

But, I would speculate your results from this forum vote would be skewed to favor new product. A higher percentage of people voting in this forum already have dice, and want new dice. But the people on this forum to not represent everyone that will buy dice. In other words, there would probably be a lot of people voting for reprinting out of stock items coming from the people who have not even discovered the game yet. What I mean by that is... the guy 3 months from now that starts buying dice is totally going to want reprinted items available... much more than he will want new product. But, that person can't vote, because he hasn't discovered Dragon Dice™ yet!

But, that being said, I am still voting new product!!!

Last edited by shoesan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoesan wrote:
I can't vote either. New product all the way for me!
maybe its some strange forum permission...
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should all be able to vote now....
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
loligarchy
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally prefer new products, especially if included in those are the Coral and Lava elves, as those are also quite beginner friendly and it'd be nice to see all of the original four races out on my local game store's shelves.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can (and have) vote now.

loligarchy wrote:
I would personally prefer new products, especially if included in those are the Coral and Lava elves, as those are also quite beginner friendly and it'd be nice to see all of the original four races out on my local game store's shelves.

Yes, especially if the elves is part of the "new product". They are much friendly for beginners IMO.

As far as somebody joining the game in 3 months wanting reprints of dice that just became unavailable, there's enough variety of dice available that there'll be something to start with. And the fact that if we get new stuff now, then reprints will be available in 2014 means they won't have to wait that long. New players also (usually) don't buy large quantities of a game they just learned about.

Also, let's say not reprinting right away means Frostwings sell out and become unavailable. A new player won't necessarily have the exposure to the game to miss their brief absence.
Urfaes
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to vote for reprinting existing product if I understand the poll correctly. Without reprinting product, there'd be no means of getting Coral Elves, Lava Elves, or Frostwings outside of ebay or trades. There are no kickers for Amazons, Undead, Swamp Stalkers or Ferals.

In short, for a new player to get into the game, they're more or less relegated to buying multiple starters, ebay or trades. And that's only if they want to play Amazons, Swamp Stalkers, Undead or Feral. Barring option A, that means less money going to SFR for more dice in the future.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of new product do you intend to release ? A new race ? Additional dice for existing races ? A non-race-related extension like the terrains ?
Blindfury
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:58 am GMT    Post subject: re-new product Reply with quote

Speaking as a new player (less than 4 months), I have to agree with the poster who said that long-term players (who already have their armies) are more likely to vote for new material.)
My wife and I just started playing thanks to friends bringing us into the fold. We immediately started looking for armies, dragons, terrain, and starters to test out a few of the races. I was very fortunate that the army I wanted (frostwings) was in stock. My wife wasn’t so lucky.
To date we’ve spent close to $400 at the SFR site on a case of frostwings, a case of magic items, an assortment of hybrid dragons, medallions, and white dragon-folk. We’ve also spent $150 on 10 kicker packs of swamp stalkers, another $150 on a mixture of eBay auctions for undead, goblins, and swamp stalkers, and another $30 on dragons. In the future we intend to buy a second case of magic items, 2 cases of dragonkin, terrain, undead, goblins, swamp stalkers, dwarves, frostwings, and fire walkers (and that’s if we don’t start any new armies.)
Frankly I’d rather buy my product from SFR. I like to support the game directly rather than through third parties. But I’m now going to have to buy my frostwings, swamp stalkers, and undead on the private market. Assuming that nothing else sells out on the SFR site, I’m going to spend roughly half of my future Dragon Dice™ funds on the private market (and that doesn’t even take into account that my wife is looking at lava elves with evil interest.) There’s always going to be some lost revenue to eBay and Amazon simply due to the nature of collectable games, you really can’t help that. But right now 5 of 12 races are available on the site. That means that for a new player less than half of their potential choices can be purchased from the vender. In my experience, new players don’t wait to start a game. They get what they want or they go somewhere else. Nobody wants to buy a starter set to get a kickers worth of one army. So I strongly encourage you to reprint your basic races.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking into this a bit harder, I have some comments.

Elves are a no-brainer. They are probably the best reprint you could make for new players, and they (hopefully) would also have the fifth monster, which counts as new product for old-timers. They actually satisfy both sides of the vote. So, I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you are not talking about Elf Kickers (Coral and Lava), and that they are already in the works. I am guessing this vote is for what to do after Elves are released.

If my guess is wrong, then I totally think Elf kickers have to be next, for the reasons stated in the paragraph above.

However, if my guess is right, then what exactly are we talking about? If you add Elf kickers to the SFR store, what is missing? Frostwings seems to be the only race you can't buy (once we have elf kickers). All other races are available (though for some you have to buy starter sets). Dragonkin are available. Eladrim in all forms are available. Magic items are available. In stock Battlefields means all terrain are available. Even full sets of hybrid dragons are available (which surprised me a bit). Really, Frostwings, Medallions and the King's Die are the only dice you can't buy at least one version of directly from SFR (again, once Elf kickers are in stock). If we are talking about new product versus medallions, I vote new product (new product meaning new dice added to the game). If we are talking about the King's Die, I again would rather have something new. If we are talking about Frostiwngs... that's tougher. I personally have Frostwings coming out my ears, so I don't need anymore. But they are a cool race, and should be available to new players. Personally, I'd rather have new dice, but I could understand needing to print Frostwings first. If they are sold out now, well, we are talking about a reprinted race... that sold out (again).... so they must be popular. And popular should equal making some money for SFR (for new dice!). So, it makes sense to me to reprint them (how about another different ink color so we can tell reprint from reprint 2???!!! Now you have a reprint and new product at the same time!) (and I personally promise you would sell at least a case more Smile ).

I can understand if there are people out there that want to buy Feral and not have to get Undead, and vice versa. But I don't think we need to make Feral kickers and Undead kickers over new product, if that is what this vote is about. The in-stock starter races are available, and that is good enough for most people I would think. The only exception to this would be Amazons. An Amazon kicker is different because it would hopefully have the fifth monster... which makes it new product. But I can understand the need to sell the Amazon/SS starters before releasing Amazon kickers. Not happy, but understanding. Very Happy

So, umm... yeah... my vote remains new product!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
You should all be able to vote now....
Let me know what i did wrong.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that we are NOT talking about the two elf kickers. Those are a necessity and will happen as planned.

We are also not talking about NEVER reprinting things. Its just a matter of priority for this year. The other option would get done, but maybe not until next year.

Companies have budgets, just like families.

as for WHAT a new product might be... I can't say just yet, but you'll know by summer if not earlier.
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:09 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to agree with Blindfury - being one of the friends that brought them into the game in the first place.

I don't like the idea of starting out with "well these things are available, but SFR doesn't print them yet / doesn't print them in the type that would be good for me to buy for my money" for new players.

I had to spend over $400 on ebay getting more coral elves for myself along with other races such as amazons since buying the 2-player starter sets imho, isn't as good as being able to buy kickers for amazons.

The thing is, I won a large auction from a long-term player here that made good money off of me wanting to have more of a product I couldn't get from SFR. While that is good for said player - which means he gets to spend more on stuff FROM SFR, I would rather support the company directly myself.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you want people to keep selling their old stuff for their own profit whether or not they even play the game (and yes, I've seen a LOT of new DD auctions that have been popping up from people that have never played the game, don't even know what the dice are, and are selling them 'cause they're hot) due to the fact that some things just aren't available -- then hey, that's cool.

I would rather have gotten everything from SFR itself, imho. *shrug*
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted reprint, but as soon as I did I began to have doubts. At first, what convinced me to vote as I did was that I think it is a good thing to have a company that has a consistent stock of existing products, as it makes the starting the game run smoother. Also, it is hard to miss that what you don't know.

However, I also realized that I mainly want what's best for Dragon Dice™ and SFR, which for a significant part is making more money. If SFR makes more money, DragonDice's will probably fare better as a result. So in the end, I think SFR should go where the money is. And although I'm not sure what option will do best at generating finance, it seems quite likely to me that the 'new stuff' option does so best.

F
Urfaes
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
I can tell you that we are NOT talking about the two elf kickers. Those are a necessity and will happen as planned.

as for WHAT a new product might be... I can't say just yet, but you'll know by summer if not earlier.

A little clarity would be appreciated. If the elf kickers are going to happen as planned, which I think I read was April / May, then which reprints are being polled? Putting Amazons, Undead, Swamp Stalkers and Ferals into kickers? More Frostwings?

Likewise, you're asking the players to vote blindly on the new product poll. For example, if it were a new race, I'd be entirely against it. If it's an inclusion of the fifth monsters, I'd say we could wait on those, too. Additional dice for each race or terrain (like a dreaded red/black Deadlands)? I might get behind. I'd much rather see the budget go toward supporting entry level players and current armies instead of heading into new territory.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that having things consistently in stock is good. I've seen companies suffer from having certain products become unavailable. However I've also seen companies suffer from having too many products currently in stock all at the same time.

its a conundrum.

Anyway, I'm sorry I have to be so vague at this point, but it is what it is. I can tell you that there are several areas being considered.

Other than the 5th monsters, I'm not a fan of continuing to expand the existing races (unless we moved in the champions area). So the other options are new races following the existing format. A new expansion introducing a new die type. An 'sister' product using DragonDice in a new way. A completely new product that isn't DragonDice.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about champions for the races. New races would be cool too and could share the same color combos of existing ones. After all there could be other humanoid races that exist along side the current ones or they are completely from a different land in Esfah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Order support All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: