SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daemon Diceâ„¢™ Rules 0.7b

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Daemon Diceâ„¢™ Rules 0.7b Reply with quote

I know its not really fair to tease you with this post, but not to post anything.

The root of the matter is that I'm not finding much to change in the rules other than nitpicking.

The final thing I'm considering is the dodge/avoid/negate debacle. I'm strongly considering replacing all of that with the term defend.

After this is put up, I'm going to work on updating the expansion and booster rules to use newest terminology and will post previews of those. No reason to keep them secret.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the different words can get and certainly is confusing, but the move/dodge/whatever conceptually helps when you look at what's going on.

Deflect can defend against anything.
Block can defend against direct attacks. Ones that can't be avoided by moving away. Such as ray or a punch. Those can follow you when you move around, but you can block and prevent the damage.
Dodge can dodge or 'move away and avoid' to defend against stuff like sweep attacks. Stuff that whether you block it or not, you'll be hit. But if you move out of the way, you are missed.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is getting into a dangerous position.

I have lots of experience from DragonDice on why not to use 'natural language' as game terms. they either don't translate to other languages well or they can have multiples meanings where sometimes its a game term and sometimes its not.

thats why everything was changed to be 'negate' to have a consistent game term. then while demoing it was awkward to say, so we introduced the three different terms. the problem somes into all the body part descriptions. you now have to use those three terms consistently in every symbol and it gets wordy.

what I'm considering is using the term 'defend' as a game term in each symbol , but using block,avoid, deflect as natural language in the seven symbols to say how they 'defend'. I think its the best of both worlds.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to suggest new keywords or natural language or anything. I was just expressing how having so many terms was confusing at first, but when I personally started thinking of it, in the way I typed up, it made logical and thematic sense to me.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you will like this new version I'm furiously working on...
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here it is.

I've taken several comments over the last several weeks into account and tweaked a word here or there. The major change was to the block/avoid/negate verbiage throughout.

Note that I also tweaked Rot because I felt it was ambiguous. I want it to be forced to target the daemon you are attacking (ie who is taking the next turn).

I'll try to review this with fresh eyes this afternoon and then its onto the booster rules...

http://www.sfr-inc.com/DaemonDice_0.7b.pdf
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....

There are two things in the current rules which just bug me on a personal level because they are exceptions and I know the history behind them, but I propose these changes...

1) Brain - it's awkward to explain how it only targets one die with all damage and to have to say that you pick between stun and wound damage... so I propose that brain be modified to be a flat: 'assign all damage from the attack it is attached to'. Thus you could put a brain on a leg and assign both damage. or you could put a spike and a brain on a pincer and assign both wounds.

2) Spikey Eyes - There is so much in this game that requires you suspend disbelieve, I would rather remove the restriction and allow you to have a spikey ray attack. Thus someone who is immune to rays would still get hit by the spike attached to it. Think of it as a small spike ejected via the eye, like a porcupine shooting a spine.

I don't know if the eye really needs to have double boosts, but that isn't bugging me as much. so leave it.

Thoughts on how either of these changes might create a rules problem or over balance the dice involved?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

note to self: weren't you going to remove the reference to initiative from lungs?
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I would say assign the damage from the original attack, but any additions are not guided.
2) Not spiking ray attacks makes sense to me and I would leave it as is.
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

piMaster wrote:
2) Not spiking ray attacks makes sense to me and I would leave it as is.

Agreed.

F
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other comments on my two suggestions?

I have a change related to lungs and two for multiplayer that are pending...
dutchjohn
common

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I actually agree
2) a spike in your eye hurts right...so if you do use spike on your eye you loose the eye.

a layout thing body parts symbols heading on page 1 the rest on page 2 . I guess you already had that in sight but better mentioned then not noticed.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchjohn wrote:

a layout thing body parts symbols heading on page 1 the rest on page 2 . I guess you already had that in sight but better mentioned then not noticed.

Thanks. I know I'm laying these out as if they are real rules, but the layout will all be redone in proper software for a completely different page size once we call these 'done' and are ready to print.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

piMaster wrote:
1) I would say assign the damage from the original attack, but any additions are not guided.
Pi, any reasoning behind this that could help sway me one way or the other?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - Bumping up to the next version. We can discuss the new Brain there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: