SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few clarifications needed.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:55 pm GMT    Post subject: A few clarifications needed. Reply with quote

Hi all. So I recently got together a few people and played a couple of games, which brought about some questions:

1: What spells are available to use while in reserve?
2: Can you move a dragon from one terrain to another?
3: Does "Burning Hands" or other unit specific spells expire if said unit is put in reserve?
4: Do you count all shields for the Scalders' racial ability or count the ones left after saving from an attack?
5: When smite is rolled, do you dispose of the killed units before counting saves for the defending army?
6: Can you only roll for Frostwings' magic negation when at the same terrain as the army rolling for magic?

Thanks!
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: What spells are available to use while in reserve?
For Black: Reanimate Dead, Open Grave
For Blue: Breath of Life, Windwalk
For Gold: Stoneskin, Path
For Green: Watery Double, Wall of Ice
For Red: Spark of Life, Burning Hands
There are also one or two racial spells that each race has that can be cast from Reserve. In general, only magic that can directly benefit your units can be cast. Magic that can harm or interact with the opponents' units cannot be cast from Reserve.

2: Can you move a dragon from one terrain to another? Whenever a Summon Dragon spell and some SAIs that summon dragons are successfully cast or activated, the player may choose to move a dragon at a terrain (except an Ivory dragon) instead of putting one into play from any Summonimg Pool.
3: Does "Burning Hands" or other unit specific spells expire if said unit is put in reserve? No - it stays with the unit until it is triggered (or the spell is cancelled by Blue Elemental Blast).
4: Do you count all shields for the Scalders' racial ability or count the ones left after saving from an attack? All the non-ID saves, so the racial ability counts all save icons and SAI icons that count as saves (such as Fly and Counter).
5: When smite is rolled, do you dispose of the killed units before counting saves for the defending army? Smite is resolved (and losses taken) prior to resolving the normal damage of the melee (and rolling for saves).
6: Can you only roll for Frostwings' magic negation when at the same terrain as the army rolling for magic? Correct.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
(2) So, does that mean it's possible to summon a dragon from another player's summoning pool?

(5) I'm guessing, then, that it's best to roll for defense after the player attacking has rolled.
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaded--Dice wrote:
(2) So, does that mean it's possible to summon a dragon from another player's summoning pool?

Yes.

Quote:
(5) I'm guessing, then, that it's best to roll for defense after the player attacking has rolled.

The defender should wait until after the attacker has resolved all icon effects, applied modfiers, and announces their final melee/missile total.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

dburkley wrote:

4: Do you count all shields for the Scalders' racial ability or count the ones left after saving from an attack? All the non-ID saves, so the racial ability counts all save icons and SAI icons that count as saves (such as Fly and Counter).

One thing to make clear here. The scalder ability uses the term 'attack phase' which makes it different than the 'counter attack phase'. The distinction is that on the scalder players turn, when they attack first, this ability doesn't trigger. It's only when they are attacked by another player first.

Note: I wouldn't have expected it, but the spell Haunt uses the term melee action. So the Scalders can scorch the haunting army into the BUA.
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help.
I'm slowly but surely playing by all the rules. ^w^
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's been a while, but:
Do you have to be at the same terrain as the dragon you summoned for it to attack?

Thanks!
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaded--Dice wrote:
Do you have to be at the same terrain as the dragon you summoned for it to attack?

Yes. During the Dragon Attack Phase of your turn, any army of yours at a terrain with one or more dragons will go through the Dragon Attack sequence. A Dragon at a terrain that has another player's army present, but not yours, will do nothing during your turn - but it will be resolved during their turn, if the situation is the same at the start of their turn.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

dburkley wrote:
Loaded--Dice wrote:

Yes. During the Dragon Attack Phase of your turn, any army of yours at a terrain with one or more dragons will go through the Dragon Attack sequence. A Dragon at a terrain that has another player's army present, but not yours, will do nothing during your turn - but it will be resolved during their turn, if the situation is the same at the start of their turn.

Ok. So If I summon a dragon and am not at that terrain, then the dragon can still attack another player on their turn, correct?
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaded--Dice wrote:
So If I summon a dragon and am not at that terrain, then the dragon can still attack another player on their turn, correct?

Yes, if there is an army present when they start their turn, the Dragon will attack at the Dragon Attack Phase of their turn.

One important thing to remember about Dragons is that they only attack the active player's armies (or another Dragon at that location), and only during the Dragon Attack Phase of the active player's turn.

The only other circumstances I can think of that you can do something against a Dragon at a terrain outside of the Dragon Attack Phase is:

1) A Dragon that is summoned to a terrain that happens to have an army of yours present can trigger a response, if that army has a unit that has the Dispel Magic SAI. After all spells have been cast by the opponent, you may choose to roll any unit(s) that have the Dispel Magic SAI to attempt to negate all spells cast at your army (and terrain your army is at). If the Dispel Magic SAI is rolled, ALL of those spells are negated (ie: the Dragon that was just summoned is returned to the Summoning Pool - but note that any other Dragons summoned at thet terrain from prior turns are unaffected.)

2) Whenever an SAI is rolled that allows a player to summon a Dragon (such as on a Dragon Staff or Dragonkin Champion), a non-Ivory Dragon at a terrain could be chosen and moved to another terrain.

3) Eldarim Champions get a chance to control, slay, or tame a Dragon before it attacks (dependng on the Champion) - but I consider that part of the Dragon Attack Phase.
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the detailed info!

One of these days I'll be playing with a full deck... bag of dice.
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few more questions.

1. When you roll a tail with a dragon and then roll another tail, does that count for 6 points of damage? Or do you roll again and keep adding as long as you get tails?
2. Same question for group monsters.

Thanks!
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

With tail, you always add three and roll again. So if you rolled two tails, it would be 6 points plus you still roll the dragon again. You keep rolling it until you don't get a tail (and add three more to the damage for every tail you rolled). Group monster IDs work the same way.
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
That's how I've been playing, but wasn't sure.
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

When attacking, when a unit is killed, who decides which unit in the army dies?

When using the Ferals' Feralization ability, do you get to promote or recruit 1 unit to each army on the field or just one?

Am I correct in that if you kill a 3 point undead and step it down to a 2, you cannot use the 3 that was just sent to the DUA to step down a 4 point undead that was killed in the same attack?

Thanks again!
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaded--Dice wrote:
When attacking, when a unit is killed, who decides which unit in the army dies?

The defender chooses which units are killed unless there is some effect that dictates otherwise.

Quote:
When using the Ferals' Feralization ability, do you get to promote or recruit 1 unit to each army on the field or just one?

Every army at a terrain may Feralize.

Quote:
Am I correct in that if you kill a 3 point undead and step it down to a 2, you cannot use the 3 that was just sent to the DUA to step down a 4 point undead that was killed in the same attack?

Correct; see the section in the rules "Exchanging Units from the DUA".
Crim86
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wait, does that mean if my opponent attacks my scalders and I get a counter, it deals back 8 damage instead of 4?!
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, though the scorching damage is applied seperately from the counter damage (since they are two different effects). There are several threads in the Rules Discussion section that deals with this question. I would recommend you look them up.
Crim86
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I checked out those other threads. Even with the separate resolutions, charkin are impressive. For some reason I read scorching touch as excluding SAI saves. I'm still pretty new with scalders (I got 8 kickers about a month ago), but they are quickly becoming one of my favorite races to play, after firewalkers.
Loaded--Dice
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, PiMaster!

Another question popped up in my last game.
When you roll rend in a melee avoidance roll, does it count for melee attacks back against the attacking army? Or does it just allow you to roll again and try for saves?
And if it produces melee results, does the attacking army roll for defense against the rend or is it like a combination roll?

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Dragon Dice™ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: