SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a collection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mliguori
dragonmount
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:15 am GMT    Post subject: Starting a collection Reply with quote

I'm new to the boards and the game and have already been bitten by the dice bug. I picked up one of the feral/undead starters and loved it so much that I ordered 3 more. My question is where so I go from here? Should I grab another army or try to add depth to the armies I already have with dragonkin and equipment?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Dragon Dice™!

That's really a tough question. There has been many discussions on how to collect Dragon Dice™ in order to play. I suspect you will get about as many different answers as there are players. So it really comes down to preferences. If you want to add depth to the game, then get some of the expansions. If you want to try other races, then get those races.

Anyone that plays me will tell you that Feral are my favorite. But I do try other races from time to time. I use dragonkin a lot, not so much magic items or minor terrains. But that's my style, and others will, I'm sure, give you different ideas.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As chuck says, it really depends on how your style of play. I like Dwarves, Amazons, and Scalders in various combinations. Some people love Swampstalkers, but I couldn't win a game with them not matter how hard I tried, back in the TSR days. The only thing I can say is once you find a race (or two) that you like, get to know it's strengths and weaknesses very well and construct your armies to make the most of their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. (sounds trite, I know, but try to beat Chuck with his Feral army sometime, it's VERY hard to do.)
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest getting at least one of each die. Smile Seriously, I would agree with what's bee said above-try a few different races, and when you find one you like get that one (or several, if you have more than one favorite) in depth. I have four DD player in my house, and each of us has a different favorite race. I like Dwarves, though I haven't really figured out a winning strategy with them (yet). My son Robert likes Undead, and won Worlds and Nationals with them. My son Jonathan likes Frostwings, and won Nationals with them. My daughter Stefanie likes Coral Elves, mainly because they were the first race she played and she's stuck with them. So there is quite a variety to choose from, and the way you like to play will influence what races you like to use.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)

Last edited by ddicerc on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:01 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:33 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Starting a collection Reply with quote

mliguori wrote:
I'm new to the boards and the game and have already been bitten by the dice bug. I picked up one of the feral/undead starters and loved it so much that I ordered 3 more. My question is where so I go from here? Should I grab another army or try to add depth to the armies I already have with dragonkin and equipment?

Since you are in the USA, you can easily buy directly from SFR, so you may want to buy a set of medallions (http://www.sfr-inc.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=61) which can help out an army (the bronze and the gold ones are expecially useful). Also they are quite unique dice because of their shape.

Then, maybe have a look at the online game section of the forum to see what people are using as armys and take inspiration from there Smile

When I started playing I used to use armies composed of only one race, but now I'm experimenting with mixed armies, and it's quite fun, just think carefully when choosing the mages as if you split them among more races, you'll have difficulties in casting racial spells (but bronze medallion helps here).

Ferals are probably the less prone to mix up with other races since their feralization ability works best if you have lot of them in play, but a small splash can be tried.

In the end, I'd say try with some other race, you will have less redundancy in your collection, and you will have the ability to test more races and understand where are the differences between races in the game.

As far as dragonkin goes, I don't own them yet, but I've seen them being played: everyone brings them to the table as they are "free" (that is: not counted against the army total size) but many matches don't see them leaving the summoning pool. I'm not saying they are useless (I'll buy them myself at some point in the future), but to me they add less to your collection, variety wise, than a new race.

This is just my 2 cents, others may disagree

Danilo
sstrntn

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Starting a Collection as well Reply with quote

You mentioned that you started with the Feral/Undead starter and ordered 3 more. I was wondering. Were the dice in the starters all the same or did they differ between each starter box? Different Dragons, Lands, Monsters and such???

I was looking at ordering some starters but I wasn't sure if they'd be all the same or different.

Sean
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get 4 terrains of each starter color combo, but there are 4 different types. You will get 2 dragons, random as to which ones of the 12 different types. Same for the races. So they are all random, but with the same types in each.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
mliguori
dragonmount
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Starting a Collection as well Reply with quote

sstrntn wrote:
You mentioned that you started with the Feral/Undead starter and ordered 3 more. I was wondering. Were the dice in the starters all the same or did they differ between each starter box? Different Dragons, Lands, Monsters and such???

I was looking at ordering some starters but I wasn't sure if they'd be all the same or different.

Sean

Just like Chuck said, they are random. I got a rather nice playset out of my 4, and will eventually be ordering some more. They are essentially two kickers of really great races with a bonus dice and a rulebook.
sstrntn

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Starting a Collection Reply with quote

Thank you all for the quick reply. It was what I hoping to hear.

Thanks again,

Sean
awilla3

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a guide somewhere that shows what boxes contain what dice? It isn't immediately clear how to get additional dragons beyond directly buying sets.
1) What boxes include dragons?
2) What boxes include major terrain?
3) Which dice are impossible to get without buying them as singles?

I just started playing Dragon Dice™ (picked up two different starter sets at PAX East 2014) but got 2xblack and 2xgold dragons, and would like some others. Thanks for your help, and for most likely taking all my money! Razz
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

awilla3 wrote:
Is there a guide somewhere that shows what boxes contain what dice? It isn't immediately clear how to get additional dragons beyond directly buying sets.
1) What boxes include dragons?

Dragons are available in sets of 6 dragons, all sharing one type (drake or wyrm) and a color, with all possible hybrid combinations. So in a Red Wyrms set, you would get all wyrms, one each of red, red/black, red/blue, red/gold, red/green, and red/ivory. These sets are $19.95; the current starters are cheaper, but only have two dragons. Starters are probably still the best current way to get the single-color elemental dragons if you still need terrains and/or the races in a starter, but they are randomized. With dragon sets you know what you're getting.

awilla3 wrote:
2) What boxes include major terrain?

For the four basic types and eighth faces, it's only the starters right now. The two other combos, red/green and red/blue, are available in the Battlefields expansion, along with four other special eighth faces and minor terrains.

awilla3 wrote:
3) Which dice are impossible to get without buying them as singles?

The only die that is currently neither in production nor in plans to be reprinted is the Kings' Die. (Don't worry, you won't miss it much, unless you are a "completist" collector.) Every other normal die is either available through a current product or will be available in a future product released within the next year or so. (I can't promise release dates, due to factors beyond SFR's control.) Now some dice are extremely rare (Unseelie Faerie, anyone?), but they are out there.

Thanks for playing! Hope this helps you understand what's available and where.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Dragon Dice™ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: