SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High Altitude Conflicts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want to see finally triumph?
Frostwings! Flying mountain-lions are cool!
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
Firewalkers! Gotta love those red/blue warriors!
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Who cares?
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Users Voted : 3
Total Votes : 18

Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:49 pm GMT    Post subject: High Altitude Conflicts Reply with quote

I don't know if this would count as a themed game or not, but since it does involve an onrunning feud between two races, I guess it does have a theme. That and the fact that it's likely to go on for some time...

Stan (Firewalker) and I met for our weekly battle at the Pikes Perk Coffee & Tea Shop. Aside from the bemused looks two middle-aged guys playing with dice normally get, we actually had a few people watch and ask questions.

Very cool. Now, on to the games.

The feud between the Frostwings and the Firewalkers goes back years to when I first showed Stan the game. He got addicted quick, played with the Elder races for a while, and then discovered cases of the 'walkers cheap on eBay. Seeing as how I had the only Frosties (and I don't share my boys), the war began.

At first the battles were pretty one sided, and the Frosties kicked butt. I knew Firewalker strengths and weaknesses better than he did, and he was still trying to figure out those God-awful icons. Anti-magic played a big part in it.

After a while Stan began analyzing the dice individually, figuring out best how to beat my armies. It became a vendetta, and it paid off. The first time he won was a turning point. Have you ever seen a 50 years + man giggling and dancing around a table. Oh, to burn that image from my memory! Rolling Eyes

Today's battles brought back the bad blood. For the last few weeks we've been playing anything else just to avoid the old conflict, but today I just wanted my boys to see some action after so long.

Usually againt the 'walkers I tried to build a maneuver/melee heavy army so I could at least hold my own on the upper terrain faces. Today I deviated from the norm. A few magic guys, and the rest heavy and light missile units. Throw in a couple of trueflyers for added ooomph and a couple of bronze targes just in case he got a few good rolls. I was ready to roll (pun intended).

Game 1: Frosties definately don't maneuver well, and the terrains started low on missile faces. Advantage - Joe. Stan chose to place the frontier, allowing me to act first. Horde army peppers his home with a pretty good hit, sending half his units to the DUA. Home army outruns his horde and gains a minor which added saves. A magic roll gets a nice bit of black (and doubled IDs using his DUA since the 8th was a Stones), to bury half of the 1h units in his DUA. Now his headache starts.
His turn was used trying to recover units. Casting magic at my home with his horde gave only a few IDs, which amounted to nothing. Swampland terrain allowed for no doubling, and Frosty anti-magic drained the rest. Grumbling now much increased.
Gambling, I play Canadian and withdraw all units on my next turn into reserves. He recovers a few more with a bad magic roll, and I advance all of mine to the frontier, which stands at 6. He doesn't try to oppose since he's lost too many units. I capture the 8th (Flat Temple). Magic allows me to bury more of his dead units and place a black wyrm at the other terrains. A single 2h unit heads for reserves.
Stan recovers last of his available dead, then heads for his home, standing at 5. I pepper them. Literally. One shot, half his total remaining units are gone. Bullseye manages to kill his Fireshadow. Seriously crippled, he withdraws again. My lone unit in reserves heads for his home. Two bad magic rolls later he gets a few units back (but not many thanks to burial spell and temple burial). sends them home in a last ditch attempt to gain the 8th, but the winds blow from the frontier and the Frosties win the day.

Whew!

Game 2: See game 1. Not as complicated, but just as ugly. This one was an attrition win. No more than 7 rounds total, and the ice was flying thick. Firewalkers were wiped off the board, their final stand at the frontier a bold but failed effort when I hit him with 38 and 18 on my last two turns. I told you, ugly.

Game 3: Stan adjusts his army. More missile, add another Fireshadow, dump the blade golem and mimic my items. Terrains start high on melee faces. Advantage - Stan. Frosties make a pitiful attempt at melee and get squished at home. Horde army can't move the terrain, can't bring in a minor, and is basically screwed, blued and tattooed. We retreat. Stan gains a minor, gets magic, and lightning strikes the devil out my boys. We lose some heavy hitters including the assailer and the magi. Reserve magic is halved with lights, so I only get two 1h units back. Stan grabs the frontier 8th and starts his reserve jumping around between there and his home - advancing that terrain, while using the temple to bury my units. I call a few more back, but lose more than I gain to LS. Dragons dumped on my home prevent me moving there for black ID doubling. More LS hit the reserves and his home gets advanced to 7. Last ditch effort (and I really wanted this lousy game to end), sends few remaining units to his home, hoping for a small miracle. He firewalks all but three units home. Knowing the game is lost, we skirmish on my turn. I inflict 0 hits, and the return strike wipes the rest of the Frosties from the board. Stan is smug and satisfied.

Tally - Frostwings win the day 2 to 1. However, the last battle was embarassingly quick. Now I have to redesign the black and blue boys to compensate.

The wars... will continue.

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
riolis
common
Rep

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Frosties will rule the sky, freezer burn good Twisted Evil
Mr. Green Fan Club Member Mr. Green
http://dragondice.ryanssaunders.com/
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at that! Shocked
There's a poll question I missed so far!!! Embarassed

I just like those red and blue flame hoppers! They can be nasty if you play them right (and if you're a little lucky in rolling your dice and if there are the right terrains in the game).
Still don't understand why they aren't more popular! Rolling Eyes

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Firewalkers are popular (mages and Fireshadows), but as for the rest, just count the number of save icons on FWs as a whole...
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
Some Firewalkers are popular (mages and Fireshadows), but as for the rest, just count the number of save icons on FWs as a whole...

Ha, ha! I just got the feel of what FW save like in my forum game!!! **LOL**
Wink Rolling Eyes Razz

Yes, you're right, they don't save very well regarding their save totals! They do well in the others but for saves they have to be combined with other races.

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
Sabredice
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Die(ter) wrote:
Still don't understand why they aren't more popular! Rolling Eyes

If you ask me, it's because they have the craziest ID icons of any race except some of the Treefolk. When I play them I always have to have the little FW book or the DCM nearby to make out the IDs of the 3 health units so I know what to play with. They are definately not my first choice for an army. And as someone else already said, they suck at saving.

"Whenever a door closes in your face, look for a window."
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabredice wrote:
.... When I play them I always have to have the little FW book or the DCM nearby to make out the IDs of the 3 health units so I know what to play with. ...

Same with me concerning Scalders IDs! Rolling Eyes
They just don't want to stay in mind, I always have to take a look into the booklet! (Except for the Bob Marley units (dreadlocks Twisted Evil )

On the other hand, I have no problems with identifying the Firewalker IDs.

Strange and amusing how different players are! Laughing

www.dragondicer.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: