SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WE HAVE A Dragon Dice™ APP!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like a DragonDice app for use during game play?
YES! And I'd buy it from the app stores
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
YES! And I'd contribute to Kickstarter if it meant it was free on app stores
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Undecided, I'd like a better explanation of what this is for or what it can do.
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
NO. I have not smart devices to run any apps on
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
NO. I see no value in this app, flipping through a printed manual is enough for me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Users Voted : 27
Total Votes : 27
This poll has expired.
Detailed Results/Undo Votes

BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:52 pm GMT    Post subject: WE HAVE A Dragon Dice™ APP!!! Reply with quote

For maximum exposure to this post this would probably go better under announcements.

Dragon Dice™ is indeed a fun game but many new players feel intimidated by sheer size of the rules and the manual. Without a veteran player on hand to help them find the information they need in the starter rules, they either miss several important rules and wing it, or become frustrated and stop playing.

An associate and I felt it was about time a cross platform app was created as a tool to help new and veteran players alike quickly find the information they are looking for and spend more time with actually playing. We wanted to create a Dragon Dice™ assistant app for both the ipad and android platforms that would feature keeping the most commonly needed information at the player’s finger tips while maintaining a simple interface. At the same time we did not want the app to be a tool to give a player an unfair advantage over another player. The app would not be an inventory database or an army building tool. It would not give suggestions on how to play your armies.

What we have come up with is a sleek app that allows you start off by picking which races are include in all your armies. From this it will always remind you of what their racial abilities are on the first tab.

The second tab is the spell list filtered by only the spells you’re capable of casting based on the races you picked. The spell list color codes the spells which are legal to cast from the reserves. There are toggles to temporarily change the list to show only reserve spells, all color spells but still racially filtered, an ALL spells with no filter so you can check out the spell descriptions that your opponent is about to cast.

The list is not just a static list; when you’re ready to start casting you can click each spell in the order you’re planning to cast it. The app will count up the total amount of spell points you will need, list the spells in the order you clicked them, and will also specify racial spell points needed. This is to help you work it out in your head all your spells and their order before announcing out loud all your spells and their targets.

The third tab is the SAI list. You can scroll down to an Icon you know you may need to come back to a couple of times during your game and tab over to other parts of the app, tab back and you’ll be at the same spot you left it.

The fourth tab is the starter rules in its entirety. This list does use an active table of contents so you can click a reference to jump down to that section of the manual.

The fifth tab is a quick reference of sequence of play for set-up, turn sequence, dragon attack, and SAI resolution.

The Sixth tab is a link to SFR’s website in case you would like to search the forums about any rule interpretations, other general information, or even to order more dice Smile This tab is also the only one that requires an internet connection as the rest of the app is self-contained.

The seventh and final tab is a 2 hour timer to use during timed games.

We have a functional prototype of the app now, but we need to know if the community is interested in helping to fund the app so that it will be made available on itunes, google play, and amazon’s app store.

We would like honest opinions on how valuable such an app would be if it was available.
If it was on the app stores already for a price of 5 dollars would you purchase it? 3 Dollars? 99 cents? We’re considering a Kickstarter to pay for the development of the app. We would set the goal to cover the cost of publishing the App, and paying the developer for his time (The developer is a Dragon Dice™ player, and wants to see this app happen!). If we raise enough to cover the publishing costs, we’d put the app up for a fee. If we raise enough to pay the developer, we’d make the app free. The more money we make, the more platforms we’d make the app for. iPad will be the first platform because it has the fewest layout concerns because every iPad is the same.

We’d like to make the app free if possible because it would promote the game, and possibly make it easier for new players to get started.
Is the majority of the community without smart devices and so would be unable to use the app?

Do the majority of players feel this would never be used and feels thumbing through the currently available PDF file on the homepage is all they need?

We would like to add additional features to the app such as a dice browser, a web based version for compatibility with Pc’s and windows tablets, and a few others we are currently experimenting with to see how feasible they are.

Please watch our video then take our poll. Your opinions are very important to us as Dragon Dice™ has always been a community driven game.
Keep in mind that the video was made using a simulator, and is therefore a little jerky. We’ve installed it on several iPads and it runs buttery smooth on them all. There have been a few minor changes since this video was made. Spell descriptions have been double checked against the latest manual, and all dragon summoning spells were added as well as a few other minor tweaks. As we continue to play test this app, we are improving it.

The video can be found at: http://youtu.be/M3iF5p26aO8
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall that looks really nice. I've thought about doing similar projects, but would only be able to do Android. Easy access to the web page is a good idea. I haven't really done tournament style where I control the time, so I don't know what's standard, but maybe allowing a few configurations there would be good. For the different phases, you could even throw in specific racial steps if the appropriate races are selected (e.g. Feral). And I can't tell from the video how usable the rulebook is on the app version. e.g. skipping to sections or searching for key words as if I opened the app in a pdf reader app.

I'm not sure how much I would personally pay for this, since I make many of my own tools anyways, but I do like to support the hobby. I strongly prefer free apps, and rarely pay for anything on my phone. I know, I'm a cheapskate. $1 I might do. I'm sure you've been talking with Cliff about this too. What would development costs be? Will this be the designer's first app in the app store for either device? What were you guys thinking regarding compensation for the developer for this type of app?
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:
And I can't tell from the video how usable the rulebook is on the app version. e.g. skipping to sections or searching for key words as if I opened the app in a pdf reader app.

What would development costs be? Will this be the designer's first app in the app store for either device? What were you guys thinking regarding compensation for the developer for this type of app?

The iPad version currently uses the build in PDF viewer in the IOS. the manual IS indexed so yes, you can scroll to the index, tap any of the index lines and it will jump you down to that section, if you then tab the top of the window it takes you back to page one. in addition, you can also pinch zoom to make the manual bigger for easier reading.

We have discusses setting up a kickstarter like this: the goal is only $200.00 if we make just that and not much over then that will pay for the license costs to publish to itunes, play google, and amazon's app store. We would then put the app up for a fee but all those who did contribute to the kickstarter would be sent a download code of their chosen platform to download it for free, their contribution would pay for their copy of the app, anyone else would then just pay the cost on the market, or pay for additional platforms.

A certain stretch goal would be set to make it free across all platforms, and this would also include a PC web based version for those without a smart tablet. The advantage of this is you can then download it for all your different platforms without paying any additional fees. And new players to it would be able to have immediate access to get the app too. The coder has already put in over 90 hours of coding time to create a truly working demo of the app. $4,000 total would cover all production costs of three platforms, prettying up the interface more, and a couple of other features that we haven't put into the prototype yet like a dice browser, in addition to updates to the app when rule changes happen.

It would require a minimum of 30 hours per additional platforms for some devices which use non standard resolutions. This includes some galaxy Phablets and phones. Stretch goals would be set for them.

This is the designers first app published to the market yes. But he has coded multiple production level web based apps for a multi-million dollar national company that I am not at liberty to name over the last 10 years.
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
cool stuff, it may also add visibility to the game.

A couple of random thought:

- In the spell selecting tab, you may want to select multiple instances of the same spell (I see it calculates the magic spent, so it may be useful)

- this is a feature request: one thing I'd need is a view of each die in the game, a way to browse dice, maybe by race/type at first and then, finally, a list of all the die faces. This would be pretty useful when building new armies. (I understand this would be a bit long of a process, but it may open up some other possibilities as well, e.g. dice rolling, army building)

thanks,
Danilo
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

danilo wrote:
Hi,
- In the spell selecting tab, you may want to select multiple instances of the same spell (I see it calculates the magic spent, so it may be useful)

Currently it does, when you press the spells it lists each spell in the upper left box, so if you press lightning bolt three times it will show you each one seperately. It lists each spell in the order they were press so you have your order you intend to resolve. In the lower box it totals the spell points needed.

danilo wrote:

- this is a feature request: one thing I'd need is a view of each die in the game, a way to browse dice, maybe by race/type at first and then, finally, a list of all the die faces. This would be pretty useful when building new armies. (I understand this would be a bit long of a process, but it may open up some other possibilities as well, e.g. dice rolling, army building)

A dice browser is at the top of our list of added features we would like to put in. We don't want a dice roller or any feature that would replace any aspect of the actual game. We want it to help the individual have a smoother game play with less time spent looking information up.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear adding the icons is an eventual goal. I was going to add, one thing that's helpful is including SAIs for only your own army would be nice. So if army building is also going to be an eventual aspect (maybe saving army builds and distribution?), being able to look up the SAIs for that specific army would be >> flipping through every SAI in the rulebook. Especially if you don't remember what something is called...
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool,
I didn't realise that you can select multiple spells from the video.

The addition of a dice browser is all I need (no need for a dice roller for me: I like to roll the actual dice, that's part of the experience Wink)

I'm sold, I'll buy it for sure.

Danilo
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who voted undecided and want more information, please ask any question you may have. The poll allows the voters to change their vote once they get the wanted information about the app.
jbarron81
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would support it in any way I could. I could see paying up to $5 on the app store. I'd also fund it on kickstarter if needed. It would make the rule book one less thing to carry at game conventions, so I'm all for it. Plus my rule book is a little out dated, so it would be nice to have an app that can add new content as it comes out.
Ormgund

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:40 am GMT    Post subject: App Question Reply with quote

So did this ever come to fruition? If so what do I search for because I can't find it in the App Store for Apple. Thanks

Coffey
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: App Question Reply with quote

Ormgund wrote:
So did this ever come to fruition? If so what do I search for because I can't find it in the App Store for Apple. Thanks

Coffey

There is movement forward on this. It is not at a stand still. The plan is going to be a crowd funding to complete the development and to make sure the app is not only functional but a very nice looking yet easy to use interface. And we want it launched for multiple OS's not just the apple store.

The strategy plan is being worked out to make sure the promised end product is clear plus maximum exposure.

End year holidays are contributing to the time its taking. Please say tune for announcements. We will certainly keep the community in the loop.
PANTSONHEAD

australia.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be behind a SFR kickstarter where this was a stretch goal??

Just putting it put there!
Urutsini
dragonmount

australia.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take my money. Also, I'm a big Kickstarter so that would be my schtick. Although, you'd need some broader appeal dice release to draw new people into the game. Not only will that help you sell dice but you'll have an avenue to create something shiny and new for the game. That and I can't see a Kickstarter catching on with just the app, targetted at the current player base.
DiverDoug1978
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the game so i think an app would be a fantastic idea. I would pay for the app in the AppStore or i would defintely fund a kickstarter campaign.
Oyvind
dragonfoal

norway.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd support an app. Has there been any movement on the project lately? If so, can you please give us an update?
1,267 Dragon Dice™ have found their way into my collection. These are also the dice that I want. I'll happily trade some promos/originals for their reprint versions. If you're looking for some of these, willing to trade reprints for them, contact me for a list!
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:07 am GMT    Post subject: Rising from the dead. Reply with quote

I Have some news on this project. First a little explanation as to why this went dark:

The program who had made our first working prototype was pulled into couple of other major projects for his work and had to put his work on hold for a couple of months. During that hiatus two very unfortunate things happened. 1) the tablet on which I had the demo app was destroyed and 2) apple discontinued the coding environment that it was being written in.

(this means that if Chuck has ever installed the files I sent him for his tablet, he has the ONLY working copy)

I hadn't recorded any video of the app in use yet as I was still speaking with a couple of kickstart veterans (one who raised a quarter mil on his last project) on the best way to make the presentation.

While waiting for the original programmer to become free again I started trying to learn angular java along with the latest android engine to try getting a working android app going first.

Now the apple programmer is has become available again, new mac, new tablets, new coding environment and has already begun writing the interface from scratch agin for the working prototype. He estimates it will be done in October.

I will push to get the kickstarted going as soon as his coding is done. this will be written with the 3.0 rules.

The goal is to fully fund from kickstarter alone so that it will be a free app on the app markets.

To all those who have been watching this thread, thank you for your patience.

We welcome all stretch goal suggestions that we may include in the kickstarter.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear from you again!

I've never dove deep into Apples conditions for app approval.

What are their views on functionality that is greatly tied to cloud services?

I'm thinking some type of die browser or roller would be a great stretch goal, but would prefer to tie it into our existing one via services rather than hardcode and have to release it again for every little change and update.
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app certainly should have online functions but I believe most of the core functions should function offline when no wifi access is available. Smaller venues and cons don't offer any type of wifi and many players either won't or cannot use their phone as a hotspot with a tablet.

We will have to work within Apple's restrictions when it comes to updates. changes to the app itself must come though itunes but refreshed data, like the newest rule book, might be able to pull from your site in a fashion as a web browser caches files to the downloads folders.

Android is much more flexible in updates could be controlled by having a "check for updates" button for when the user IS online then have it pull a newer APK file down from your servers.

A dice browser is a great idea and I was thinking for another stretch goal allow it to save army dice lists locally.

What kind of functionality would you want the dice roller to have?

In our vision of the app we have been focusing on this being a true companion to the Dragon Dice™ game, allowing a quicker access to and better understanding of the rules, and freeing up more time to actually play the game. But we have been careful to not suggest any functions that would replace any part of the game.

We do not want the Dragon Dice™ pc game in tablet form. Had that game been better written and executed back in the day it would have killed dice sales. People tend to prefer playing solitaire, (and mahjongg solitaire) on a computer than using real cards and tiles. They cannot cheat and don't really have to remember all the rules if the program keeps them in line.

We are hoping the app will drive players to want to purchase more dice. Like the mats (and the original spell cards) The app remains fully depend on people owning dice.

But if our focus is too narrow tell us.

What functions would be in everyone's "dream" Dragon Dice™, app? (I'd like to get a mountain dew at the touch of a button but don't see that making it in Very Happy )
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the opportunity to suggest ideas!

My dream app provides a way to select and create armies based on a tactical or strategic perspective - like, I want a strong death melee army with magical abilities as a secondary strength, or I want strong maneuverability and defense to conquer the terrain. This would likely leverage the "Favorable Result" aspect of the existing web dice browser.

The ability to see the strengths and weaknesses of units and the combined army characteristics of selected units, and browse through dice supporting my intent. It would be ideal if the app *avoided* suggesting what to choose, but instead provides plenty of details allowing me to watch the potential of a my chosen armies change.

The app could provide high/low sorting with filters based on specific criteria. Drag and drop of units and terrains to 3 locations, save and load army and terrain profiles.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBrauser wrote:
the core functions should function offline
would replace any part of the game.

Agreed on both points, at this point.

Someday... who knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: