SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kos666
dragonfoal

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Dragons Reply with quote

Hello there

Quick questions about dragons. When you summon dragons can you summon the opponent's ones from their summoning pool? I assume you can from any other terrain. Similar question for Dragons lair. Can you use it to summon any dragon from any summoning pool / terrain or just yours?

Thank you
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Dragons Reply with quote

Kos666 wrote:
Hello there

Quick questions about dragons. When you summon dragons can you summon the opponent's ones from their summoning pool? I assume you can from any other terrain. Similar question for Dragons lair. Can you use it to summon any dragon from any summoning pool / terrain or just yours?

Thank you

Yep that works great!

I enjoy when my opponents dragon attacks their army Smile

Of course I am a little sad when my opponent has summoned my dragon and it now attacks me... Oh well.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, the owner of the dragon gets to roll the dragon. And for hybrid dragons, the owner of the dragon gets to pick which individual breath affect to apply if breath comes up. Army effects are automatic from both breaths.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Kos666
dragonfoal

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:16 am GMT    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks all. Very helpful
Kos666
dragonfoal

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:59 am GMT    Post subject: Dispel and Dragons Reply with quote

Just another question please. Will dispel work if somebody was using magic to summon a dragon at a location with a unit that has dispel? Is the magic assumed to be cast at that terrain and hence a dispel can be rolled?

I would expect the 8th face dragonlair ability not to be affected by dispel but is there a rule?

Thanks
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:08 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A unit with Dispel Magic can be rolled anytime spells are cast at the unit, the army it's in, or the terrain where it's at. If you look the Summon Dragon spell, its target is a terrain. So yes, if there is a unit with Dispel Magic at a terrain that is targeted by a Summon Dragon spell, you get to roll the unit to see if you can dispel that Summon Dragon spell (along with any other spells targeting the terrain, army or unit).

The Dragon Lair's terrain effect is not a spell. So Dispel Magic cannot be used to dispel that effect. So the rule is simple: it only works against spells, nothing else.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Kos666
dragonfoal

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:15 pm GMT    Post subject: One more please! Reply with quote

Thank you Chuck. Very helpful as always. May I confirm something as well. Does the Dragon's Lair come into effect before the Dragon attack? Reading the rules it says the beginning of your turn, which we assume is before any effects / dragon attacks.

Sorry to do these piecemeal but Monday is Dragon Dince night and there were a lot of questions.

Another related to Dragons. Does cantrip work on a Dragon roll?

Thank you
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a part of the turn called 8th face effects. That is when the Dragons Lair takes place and it is before the dragon attack.

and cantrip would activate during the dragon attack roll.
Tielner
dragonmount

austria.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had in our club a lot of games in which dragons were cast and the opinions vary between 'make a 36 pts game unbalanced' and 'fun factor is not increased'. But I have to admit that we do not play with dragonslayers and stuff. So our view may be limited.

The problem I have with dragons is that their damage range is between overkill and nothing. In a 36 pts game it can be quite frustrating if the opponent throws a double jaws with 3 tails und you throw a double belly.
A single throw can destroy a really good game - a game which was full of fun and suspense up to that dragon attack.

What I would change is that belly also makes damage 4 or 5 pts.
Generally I think that the damage is a bit too high. Smile
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had similar things happen when playing, my opponents get devastating damage when the dragon is rolled against me, and when faced with the dragons attack, my opponent rolls belly, or treasure. however, this is the nature of a game with an element of chance inherent with dice of any kind, and can be chalked up to the luck of the dice.

to ascribe a damage factor to the belly of the dragon makes little sense, IMO, as this is akin to the knight finding the weak spot of the beast. after all, in the fable of david and goliath, a single stone finding its mark fell goliath, leaving david unscathed.
Tielner
dragonmount

austria.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokidchser - I see your point Smile

The question is - do we want that dragons have so much influence in a 36 points game?
One good throw (or a bad one) can decide the game.
Or in other words - the one who can cast dragons earlier is more likely to win. Meanwhile in our club everyone takes the first turn. There is no fighting anymore in the frontier terrain. Without dragons we had interesting fights like in a football game - fighting for every yard. Now most of my clubmembers bunker in their hometerrain sending dragons after dragons after dragons.

Dragons should be more reliable but not that strong. Like in the very first edition.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tielner wrote:
Like in the very first edition.
what specifically are you referring too? the lower damage for claw and jaws (and no damage for wings)?

Dragons have never been 'reliable' in their results. because there is so much variance in their most to least damage across the faces.

The damage was increased years ago because 36 health could basically ignore 2 dragons and most times could ignore 3. Only if you got up to 4 dragons were they considered a danger.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we made the wings do damage, so the drakes and wyrms are nearly the same average damage.

My wife has a motto with dragons: "Never send dragons to do all your dirty work." They are just too unreliable.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:

My wife has a motto with dragons: "Never send dragons to do all your dirty work." They are just too unreliable.
That is why I rarely use them. I'd rather spend that 14 magic on 3 FoD's. It's a sure amount of small damage vs trusting a random roll.
Drachenwurfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think, If WE make belly its current work and then reroll them, Dragons Would be more usefull.
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drachenwürfel wrote:
I still think, If WE make belly its current work and then reroll them, Dragons Would be more usefull.

That would give wyrms a 5/12 chance to reroll... Might make them overkill.

I personally like dragons the way they are. They are unpredictable, but they aren't a short-term kill technique. I think they are best used as a long-term distraction/way to force armies (like mages) to other terrains. I use them as a way to dissuade armies from accessing a certain terrain if I can't send my own army there.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aravynn wrote:

That would give wyrms a 5/12 chance to reroll... Might make them overkill.

If the core concern is the unpredictability and the large amount of damage they can generate. Giving them another 2 faces to reroll on would just increase the average amount of damage they could produce.
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also fail to see the "logic" in having a reroll on the belly. tail, jaws, wings, etc. all have a logical aspect to them dealing damage. an exposed belly fails to meet this line of thinking, unless the wounds inflicted result in a spray of acid, or some such. Very Happy
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokidchser wrote:
i also fail to see the "logic" in having a reroll on the belly. tail, jaws, wings, etc. all have a logical aspect to them dealing damage. an exposed belly fails to meet this line of thinking, unless the wounds inflicted result in a spray of acid, or some such. Very Happy
Its a belly flop!
Drachenwurfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not more logic to reroll a belly then a tail.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: