SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gencon2015
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Gencon2015 Reply with quote

I haven't even done PaxEast yet, but I'm already starting to talk about Gencon...

Event Submission begins on January 7, 2015 (TOMORROW, if you believe the website)

GenCon is July 30 to August 2, 2014. A bit earlier than last year.

If you want to volunteer to help us, also let us know!

What events do you want to play?

The sealed events are always more popular than the constructed events. Should we have fewer or more or the same mixture?

Daemon Diceā„¢ events weren't as well attended last year, but it was new. So I'm planning to host that again even if I'm the only one playing!

And I need to decide on the Thursday Night - Cliff's Choice game.
Was the Draft last year successful? I felt like it was. Do you prefer things with weird rules or weird construction limitations? Constructed or Sealed?
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good Lord willing and the creek don't rise I'll be there this year. I haven't played in quite awhile so I might be best used by doing demos at the booth.

Later,
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always welcome back anyone who wants to come.

Are you planning on playing in any events? which ones would you like to see?
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't really a draft last year... It was a random assignment. A draft would be fun. You set out race kickers enough to just cover the number of players. Then randomly determine draft order. Then the player with the first pick gets to pick one kicker. Run through the remaining players in order so that everyone has one kicker. Then, randomly choose order again and then have everyone pick their second kicker. Picking high on the second kicker is probably more important than picking high on the first one, because you want to make sure you get a shot at a kicker compatible with your first kicker. So, make that order random as well.

My money is on Coral Elves being picked last! At least that is what the sentiment last year would have supported. Haha.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:17 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft I was referring to was a DaemonDice Draft. It was a 'real' draft. Choose a dice from a starter and pass it around until gone.

We haven't done a DragonDice draft yet, but if you wanted to change the Sealed Single(Sealed Eldar)[which is what you are remembering] from random to a players choice, we can definitely try that this year.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be fun to try it like I described. Anyone else have any ideas?
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:09 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the Sealed box events, with or without and additional kicker packs. Maybe a draft among 2 (or 4) players using the appropriate number of die, terrains and dragons. The skill would be in the player choosing a race for a kicker which then must be melded into the army that has just been drafted without going over the point total for the tourney.

Just a thought.

I also like Battle Fest and a 60 point all Monster Bash (gives one a chance to use these under utilized die)

Later,

Mike D.
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:17 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

answer quick:

9am or 10am for our first events?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for 9am. Two reasons: First is that the exhibit hall opens at 10am. So people tend to get sucked in that if we wait until 10. The second is to spread out the events a bit so our volunteers have some time off between events.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

but 8 is too early

I'm also considering that instead of having a Dragon Diceā„¢ novice for 12 followed by a Daemon Diceā„¢ novice for 12, of doing them at the same time for 6 a piece and let them overflow into each other.

I think we'll have more butts in chairs that way (and will be able to give breaks between events)
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

8am is too early for most gamers. The only problem I see with running both events together is that you have to have two people there to run them. May be a moot point. Paul was saying last year that you need at least 1 person for every 4-6 gamers to keep things moving with a Novice event. That sounds about right to me. So this may actually help us out better with scheduling people.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup!

I'm assuming that we will need atleast two people for the 'demo events' and preferably three or four at the booth at any given time.

You and I can take turns doing the beta testing event we discussed or whatever. I still think we need a second beta event, we just need something to show...

I'm pushing for Alex/Jake to return, but they might not. Megan is committed to Color Guard and my other kids aren't helpful yet.

kevin moved to the west coast, so I'll ask him, but not expecting much.

Mike is coming this year, so that will help...

I'll ask the MLP guys to help as well. shouldn't be a problem since we help them with badge/room and Enterplay does not.

It'll still be tight on help as always.

Cliff
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO 8 will be too early for Novice events. 9 sounds better to me since then folks can get a quick game in before the hall opens. As far as running 2 Novice events at the same time, I have no opinion except as noted earlier, Novice events tend to take more GMs than regular events. Also, as a suggestion, would running an Intermediate level event or two during the day be considered so as to not have the DD tables sitting empty all day which makes the game look dead.

Later,
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

we've tried that in the past, but no one attends the intermediate events. so the tables are empty anyway.

People like to play at the basic level, but never progress to a higher level of strategy.

That is why we hold more sealed events and fewer constructed events. I can't get people to progress to that next level.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Each time you make an attack roll, save roll, maneuver roll, or magic roll, before finalizing any results or applying the effects of any SAI, you may choose any number of units rolled and reroll them simultaneously, replacing their original results with the new results.

Would anyone be opposed to having a novelty event at Gencon that used this optional rule?

I would have to roll it into a sealed event to maximize participation, probably thursday night 7pm...
DiverDoug1978
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will There be any events on Saturday? I am trying to come but It looks like I may only be able to be there on Saturday.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always!

On saturday we typically hold:

In the morning, there will be a sealed event for new to mid level players.

At noon, the 'worlds' tournament, but I'm more than tempted to rename it based on attendance in recent years. this is a mid to high level event.

In the evening, We also hold battlefest (60 health). This is listed as mid//high experience, but anyone with enough dice can play (if they are ready to be beat).

There will be novice 'learning' tournaments throughout the day and probably a few Daemon Diceā„¢ events at noon/evening as well.
DiverDoug1978
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff,

Excellent!! That's exactly what i was hoping for since I am a completely new player!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiverDoug1978 wrote:
Cliff,

Excellent!! That's exactly what i was hoping for since I am a completely new player!
perfect. be sure to try out both of our games then. They both have dice, but the similarities end there.
DiverDoug1978
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my tickets for GenCon 2015!!!

See everyone there!!!!

Curiosity - Is there an entry fee for events?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: