SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Summon" items like they were dragon kin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Summoning or forging items is a good variation, I'd use it...
Always
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Sometimes
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Users Voted : 2
Total Votes : 2
This poll has expired.
Detailed Results/Undo Votes

RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:45 am GMT    Post subject: "Summon" items like they were dragon kin? Reply with quote

I had this idea while I was thinking about how I hardly ever use items: what if your summoning pool could include items, and a spell like the summon dragon kin of each element could summon or "forge" an item and add it to the casting army.
In a 24 pt game my 8 pt pool would have 5 pts of kin and 3 pts (2 1.5pt incoming) of items matching the colors of the race(s) I'm playing with. I'd summon or "forge" the items, let's say they were missile items and I add them to a frontier army if I expect to have to roll for missiles, or forge them at an 8th face and move them through reserves to another's home. If that army gets wiped out then the items are out of the game. Then if I were playing as dwarves I could cast reforge item if I wanted them back.

When I get time I'm gonna try this out. I'd like to hear if anyone thinks it's a good idea, or if they anticipate any problems or canflicts inte rules. If this works well maybe it gets added to rules next time they get changed and if that's the case I came up with a "steal item" spell for the lava elves which I think would be cool. Let me know what you think.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:35 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding it as something you get via magic, is just one more way to make magic all powerful....

Just a quick thought off the top of my head: How about magic items are earned? If your army wins a maneuver roll, you can add an item with a health up to (but not more than) the number of maneuvers you beat the other army. Same with saves, if you get more saves than you need, you can add an item. For melee and missile, if you give up some of your results, you can add an item with a health up to the results you gave up. Magic magic items are the only ones summoned by spells, summoning would be 3 points of magic per health (just like dragonkin and resurrection spells).

Artifacts would be something you get only when you have a full set. I.e. if you can get 4-health from one of the above, you can get an artifact only if you have common, uncommon, and rare magic item of the same type already in play. Heck, might even want to think about only getting them in order, first time is a common, second is an uncommon, etc.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:17 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My morning caffeine is kicking in, so here is an off the wall idea; that is marginally connected to this one.

Introduce a deck of cards to the game. You could do so much with it...

Make spells be on the cards in hand to cast, i.e. roll to get mana to play card.

Environmental Events like a rainstorm or heat wave that changes all battlefields

Modifiers to add to/remove from a roll.

Triggers for events like a heroic save or a devastating victory, moral boosters, or demotivators - army modifiers

Spell like effects (reroll a unit), items/scrolls to let non-mages 'cast' one time.

Bring in items/dkin from summoning pool (see its related to the topic!)

This could reduce the power of magic by moving some of the magic type effects to another mechanism.
RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this: Magic items - magic items points contribute to magic point total. Ie- adding magic items to summoning pool cannot increase the total magic worth of health in starting armies beyond 1/2 mages if that is the limit.

Example: in an 18 pt game with no more than 1/2 mages I could start with 6 points of mages and bring no more than 3 points of magic items in summoning pool.

That might reign in using this rules variation to build up tons of magic.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:25 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify your suggestion
between
Magic Items
and
Magic Magic Items
RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, I meant magical magic items, those are the items that produce magic results which would be counted along with Mage units for keeping the total magic health under 1/2 if that's the rule. This is so a player couldn't load up in magic but maxing mages in play and then summoning/forging a whole summoning pools worth of magic items to get a whole bunch more magic results.
RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also which components are better? Items or kin?

If items were much better then this proposed variation would crowd kin out of your summoning pool. Seems like if I played I would use kin when I plan on digging in and items when I want to venture into new territories.

Maybe a forge item spell (in each color) should cost 4, instead of 3 magic.
RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, with this variation there would be less of an incentive to use items the old way - counting them among your amry total.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: