SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scalders mono race

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougelf
dragonsteed

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Scalders mono race Reply with quote

Hey i didn't see much on them for gong straight scalders.

I was thinking of building a straight scalders army and would like some feed back on what people think.

36 pts

going 6x smolders, 6x sparkers, 6x dragon knights. run on Feyland city for red and green spell casting.

Would be set for attempting to go first so as to be able to fall all units back to a central location to bombard enemies with magic the whole time.

It would be a weak melee and missile on offense but on defense it works strong. average roll is 15 saves should pull 8 counter damage on melee defense that can only be saved against with magic saves and has 18 missile auto saves. With an average of around 24 magic a round it should be able to keep the enemy territory in check and with the movement rate of 21 on average it can ensure magic stays as it's go to. Spells would be dancing lights for 6 on the enemy caster battery if they have one and then just use the 18 left to do all types of damage.

What are the thoughts on this?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) it depends a lot on you being able to get into magic to begin. If the terrains all come up high you may have a problem.

2) what spells are you planning to use in your bombardment? My difficulty in Scalder magic has been that it doesn't directly attack the enemy. You have defense and some terrain control and a bit of negation, but other than dragons or Firestorm...
dougelf
dragonsteed

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

80% chance of homeland turning up 1-4 on the starting roll so that allows for a solid chance for casting with a standing stone.

Melee 8.00 3.61 4.39 to 11.61
Missile 6.00 3.42 2.58 to 9.42
Magic 24.00 7.21 16.79 to 31.21
Maneuver 21.00 5.85 15.15 to 26.85
Save 15.00 4.71 10.29 to 19.71

so average maneuver roll should be 21 with all troops moved to homeland which takes a bit to do.

starting homeland would be at: (3/3/3) for units since you can not drop more than 1/2 at a terrain at start.

Melee 4.00 2.55 1.45 to 6.55
Missile 3.00 2.42 0.58 to 5.42
Magic 12.00 5.10 6.90 to 17.10
Maneuver 10.50 4.13 6.37 to 14.63
Save 7.50 3.33 4.17 to 10.83

so it is possible to go a few routes right off the bat from dragon to damage. i was thinking of going white dragon with the high magic potential of the army backed with the ability to add colors to terrain making for a potentially nasty combo.

Damage spells mainly going for Tidal Wave Casting Cost: 6 Spell List: Scalder
Target any terrain with the green (water) element and has an enemy army present. Immediately inflict eight points
of damage to each army at the target terrain, which may roll to save. In addition, reduce the target terrain die one
step unless any army generates eight or more maneuver results during this combination roll. Multiple castings target
multiple terrains.

Ash Storm Casting Cost: 2 Spell List: Basic
Target any terrain. Until the beginning of your next turn, subtract one result at the target terrain. Multiple castings
increase the effect or target another terrain. During a combination roll, the owner of the acting army chooses how to
apply the penalty.

Firestorm Casting Cost: 3 Spell List: Scalder
Target any terrain that has an enemy army present. Immediately inflict two points of damage to each army at the target
terrain, which may roll to save. Multiple castings increase the effect or target another terrain.

Wall of Ice Casting Cost: 3 Spell List: Basic
Target any army. Until the beginning of your next turn, add three save results to the target army. Multiple castings
target multiple armies.

Objective is to pull all units back to home which gives a good defense stance to fire from. If they move up to my home territory i can combo Firestorm and Wall of Ice so as to do damage to the attacker and not to my home army if needed or summon a dragon or two depending if i go with a white or not.

Firestorm is the scalders go to spell since it has the highest pump up damage to cost to cast in the game. Even if you have to combo the wall of ice with it the out put is still nice. Mind it at that point it would be better to just funnel everything into dragon + ash storm + ice wall to deal with someone in melee range since scalders deal out 1 damage un-savable unless through magic saves while on melee defense per each save result and the army i am running should generate round 10 damage to the attacker in melee if they engage on average. So attacking them would hurt in melee ranged is out of the question since once they pull into one territory they auto save for 18 vs ranged and should do 10 on melee counter. They have Ice wall that for 3 magic bumps 3 saves to the army till next turn on defense and for offense just using firestorm should thin numbers of the enemy fairly fast. Do standing stones and if it hits 5 just spend 3 turns with casters in reserve casting ice wall on the home territory units which would average around 15 bonus saves for them depending on what the enemy rolls.

Keep in mind Scalders have:

Flash Flood Casting Cost: 5 Spell List: Basic
Target any terrain. Each army at the target terrain may make a maneuver avoidance roll. Immediately reduce the target
terrain one face if no army generates at least eight maneuver results. Multiple castings target multiple terrains.

Tidal Wave Casting Cost: 6 Spell List: Scalder
Target any terrain with the green (water) element and has an enemy army present. Immediately inflict eight points
of damage to each army at the target terrain, which may roll to save. In addition, reduce the target terrain die one
step unless any army generates eight or more maneuver results during this combination roll. Multiple castings target
multiple terrains.

Volcanic Eruption Casting Cost: 6 Spell List: Scalder
Target any terrain with the red (fire) element and has an enemy army present. Immediately inflict eight points of
damage to each army at the target terrain, which may roll to save. In addition, reduce the target terrain die one step
unless any army generates eight or more maneuver results in this combination roll. Multiple castings target multiple
terrains.

to deal with terrain die movement. Only Flatlands are immune to the terrain manipulation they have.

Last edited by dougelf on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:23 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougelf wrote:
80% chance of homeland turning up 1-4 on the starting roll so that allows for a solid chance for casting with a standing stone.

8's are rerolled
7's become 6's

So the odds of coming up 1, 2, 3, or 4 in the initial roll is 4 out of 7 or 57%.

I'm interested to see how your idea works. Want to play a game online? I'll run the board. All rolls are done on the honor system.

We can both keep this to single race. You play Scalders and I'll play Lava Elves.

sound good?
dougelf
dragonsteed

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry you are correct i was thinking of the home rules we are playing by where 1-5 are kept and 6-8 are re-rolled. So 5,6,7 are possible to create 5 & 6 out comes which would require pulling magic to reserve and casting ice wall on homeland which should average 15 for about 2-3 rounds. not desired but possible.
dougelf
dragonsteed

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

for playing i would love to but i don't have the ability to put that army together yet. just thinking of going scalders right now i have lava elves and working on a frostwings and undead with the idea of going scalders maybe to see how they do.

I could do a proxy army though assign a 1-6 to each of the dice that i don't have and use a random number generator to roll if that would work i would be game.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine if you want to use proxies or excel functions or even this hidden page of mine (http://www.sfr-inc.com/dcm2.php)

Just as long as you stick to your first roll.

I'll start a thread for us.

do you want to do any expansions? minor terrains, dragon kin, special frontier terrains?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Dragon Dice™ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: