SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre Constructed Armies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions about SFR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougelf
dragonsteed

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 am GMT    Post subject: Pre Constructed Armies Reply with quote

What are the thoughts on doing pre-constructed armies for sale in packs that way a new player would get a solid starting army and some room to grow.

Suggested retail on a 30 point army would be around 15-20$ contain 2 terrains, 2 Dragons and a well designed good starting army.

Just suggesting this since the current player has to spend around 50-60$ to get into the game and hope to get something to build with since that only gets them around 6 kickers no dragons or terrains.

I know there is the Firewalker/Treefolk starter which is 4 terrains, 4 dragons and 4 kickers and is a great buy for those just starting out. The problem is after that they can't do anything vs a constructed army without buying a bunch of kickers and then hoping to get what they need or that there are people who have units to trade.

I am still new to the game and yes i know there are a ton of tactics but the normal tactic is going 1/2 caster and 1/2 melee or ranged. I don't know if the molds could handle that and here is an example of a suggestion.

Lava Elves:

1 Necromancers, 3 warlocks, 6 Adepts for the Caster side (15 points)

1 Infiltrators, 3 Scorpion Knights, 3 Scouts, 3 Bladesman

2 x Highland Terrains

2 x Dragons either Red, Black or Ivory.

It would give them a good set of Melee and Magic along with saves.

Guessing the molds are set at:

70x 10 sided Monsters
70 x 6 Sided Rares
140 x 6 Sided Uncommons
280 x 6 sided Commons

(1050 points worth of units)

So it would take someone who is really knowledgeable to sit down and figure out pre-built armies using what comes out of the molds. Also it depends if the company you are working with would be willing or interested in packaging them that way.

Since you would have to know the number and type on each Mold so as to create

Also you could construct the armies for each race and then use the rest of the units in the molds to stock the kickers thus if you want certain units you have to buy the starters other wise to get the rest you need the kickers.

That way you don't need to deal with a new mold.

Just thinking of different ideas to entice new players.

Since buying a few kickers and not getting anything almost needed to build casters is a big let down for some since so many people like to start that route.

Down Side is i do not think based on rarity that the Frostwings and Scalders could do a 3 point caster in a starter based on the rarity of them.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) Your guesses on the molds are way off (see elsewhere in the forum for a topic about the molds).
B) Molds are really expensive.
C) Sorting dice by hand is really, really, really, expensive.

So sorry to rain on your parade, but from a business point of view, this would be really hard and/or costly. The real cost for that 30 point army would not be about $15-$20, it would be more like about $100.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions about SFR All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: