SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gencon 2016 Events
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Gencon 2016 Events Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm already thinking about this, but event registration opens the first week of January!

So what worked and what didn't work last year?

Do you prefer the constructed or sealed type events?

What can we do to move new players from the novice event to buying dice?
Once they buy dice, how do we get them to bring them back the next year?
We could have so many fun events if we could get a larger competitive player base.

Do you want to do events like we've always had or do something brand new?

What wild ideas could we try for 'Cliffs Event' on Thursday evening?
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like No Magicians, Single Race, and Battlefest. I also like playing Worlds... not just because its Worlds, but I think it is the only one besides Battlefest that uses the advanced rules (can use special terrains, minor terrains, etc.).

Sealed is always fun. My preference there is to be single race when you do it so you get some automatic synergy from your kickers.

How about a Single Race Battlefest? Or... It would be fun to do a Single Race constructed event where you bring one of each die of that race, or something like that. One of each would be 50 points. (Maybe this one is held after the dice trading event I describe next.)

You should do something to encourage dice trading. If not at the booth, then at the tournament tables. Its a collectible game, and trading can be a big part of the fun. Not sure how to implement it... maybe just "advertise" at the booth a time slot for an quasi-event (Dragon Diceā„¢ Swap Meet) at the tournament tables where anyone who wants to trade dice show up. You would probably want a Sunday time, so that people who have accumulated dice over the weekend can convert them to dice more to their liking. Any trades can go down, but I am really thinking the point of it is more for common type dice trading so that novices with few dice can trade for other common type dice that allow them to make better armies or get closer to completing sets. That kind of thing.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

Thinking about the new starters (that contain 60 health), that event would be expensive, but would it be better to play with all 60 health (a battlefest) or to construct 30 (or even 36) out of it?

This is essentially the same as a Mega-Sealed event where you might play/construct from 4 kickers.

I can understand making the sealed events to be a single race.
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually tried a tournament (although I've always wanted to)

What about an open-sealed tournament? 2 boxes, can be any 2 that you want, so single race or one of 2 different races. It might get more variety into play and if more newbies see more races it might get them interested in more dice. Just a thought.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an idea!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need something that is just 'out there'. We've done the worst army before, we've done extra large sealed events, we've done teams and drafts. What crazy formats are left to do?

An alternate rule? Global effects? like a 'weather' die.
1: Flood: add Green to all Terrains
2: Drought: remove Green from all Terrains

etc...
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 ideas (no idea if good or bad)

1: wild terrain - during a terrain maneuver, the manuever's winner may choose to roll the terrain again, unless it is on the 8th face.

2: Dragons assault - all players bring double the required dragons. at the start of the game, players must each place 1 dragon at both the home and frontier terrain. If at any time there is less than 3 dragons in play, the active player must play 1 dragon at a terrain of his choosing. I'd suggest this with no less than 45 health, possibly 60.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Slowly Dying Reply with quote

Bring one 30 point army that cannot contain any Undead or any 4-point units AND a 30 point Undead army that matches the first army in rarity distribution (rare to rare, uncommon to uncommon, common to common).

Begin play as a normal 30-health game using the non-Undead army and place the Undead army in the summoning pool. Through the course of the game, resolve any damage to the first army or units in the army as normal, but when any units would go to the DUA, send them to the BUA instead and replace those units with same health counterparts from the Undead army (i.e. rare for rare), at whatever location they were killed (reserves or specific terrain).

Any Undead units killed are sent to the BUA instead of the DUA (Undead ability to save before going to the BUA still applies). Stepped damage is changed to step with units in the BUA instead.

All spells that restore life basically do not work because there are never units in the DUA.

Feral Feralization does not work.

Swamp Stalker Mutation does not work.

City 8th face power does not work.

Treefolk Transplanting or Wild Growth does not work.

Promotions do not work.

Nothing works that would increase the health of your current army or requires a DUA to function... you can only lose health.

Maybe make this a sealed event?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I can get sealed undead by August, but this sounds awesome for 2017!

we could make it a constructed event this year to try it out...
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the Monster Bash event. 60 health of Monsters plus minor terrains and maybe Dragon Kin. Only 1 of each Monster just to keep things interesting. Let's you use the Monsters that otherwise just sit in the box. Would also allow newbies see that armies can be constructed from any of the legal dice, not just a few "best" dice.

Just my 0.02 worth.
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
I need something that is just 'out there'. We've done the worst army before, we've done extra large sealed events, we've done teams and drafts. What crazy formats are left to do?

An alternate rule? Global effects? like a 'weather' die.
1: Flood: add Green to all Terrains
2: Drought: remove Green from all Terrains

etc...

A wild effect would be to come up with several global effects in a chart or a deck of cards. Chart would fit better as you roll for the effect Smile

Maybe 10-20 of them and at the start of each new turn cycle roll on this chart of effects to see what applies for that turn cycle.

Could be the Flood and Drought you already mention.

1. Flood
2. Drought
3. Each terrain die also counts as melee
4. Each terrain die also counts as magic
5. Each terrain die also counts as missile
6. Add additional maneuvers equal to the original roll.
7. Add additional saves equal to the original roll.
8. All armies may take stepped damage
9. Add 1 of the elements to a terrain.
... Add all elements to each terrain.

Etc. Chaos world!
loligarchy
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few ideas that I had. Some of these I have played with my group, others I have not.

Simple to implement:

Ban list
Constructed, but nobody brings rare mages, trolls, medallions, hybrid dragons, all the big dice.

Precise Dragons
All Dragons deal specific health targeted damage. e.g. a claw will deal 6 points of damage to 6 health of units.

Press your luck
During an action or maneuver attempt, an army may attempt to reroll any number of units once prior to resolving any effects. However, if that unit rolls more IDs than the icon they were rolling for they will flee and be routed.

Harder to implement:

Plunder
Constructed, but both players also begin play with half again the total health of their armies placed at terrains of the player's choosing. These items are not normally accessible, however armies that succeed on a maneuver attempt may either move the terrain face up or down one space, or they may plunder a total health in magical items equal to the difference that the army succeeded in the maneuver attempt by. At the end of the turn, the plundered magic items return to their neutral position.

Highlander!
Constructed 60 health armies that may only have one of any given unit or item.

Sealed White Elephant
Sealed event, but at the end of each game, players swap health of dice equal to the highest health in one DUA.

Champions of Esfah
Single race constructed, but each player also starts with one Eldarim Champion in their summoning pool for each dragon they would bring. The only way to get access to these champions is by the promotion allowed from slaying dragons. The unit that was promoted to the Champion is sent to the BUA instead of the DUA. The Eldarim counts as a member of that race for all other effects, including racial abilities.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were doing a constructed event, I think a Highlander Monster Bash would be cool.

However, sometimes the sealed events do better, Even though they cost more, as you don't have to remember to bring dice with you.

I like the idea of the Sealed White Elephant, but if you win by killing all your opponents units, then you are forced to swap armies (potentially for the weaker army since you just killed them all). So that could be an issue.

We could also have this event test out the proposed changes to the Tower effect (don't remember if that was public or not).

We also need to decide if the modifications to the 'starter rules' will be in effect at gencon (Path, galeforce, hoof).

I'm putting in all the events on 2/1, so we have 7 more days for someone to propose an idea.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Vorpal Battle Reply with quote

Same rules as any other tournament (maybe Worlds), with one exception... All damage must be taken, so even one point of damage can be mortal to multi health units if there isn't a common around to take that damage. Running all monsters? Taking 5 points of damage will kill two of them. It would really make you reconsider how many rares and monsters you play, and would probably result in builds with more commons, which could be a fun change of pace. I doubt the SAI dice would be totally excluded, but I do think more fodder would make the team.

I got this idea from a card game based on Monopoly, called Monopoly Deal. When you have to pay someone, if you don't have the exact amount and have to pay with bigger bills, the opposing player does not give you back change. It's an interesting game and makes you really think about how you play your assets. In Dragon Diceā„¢, a single rare facing off against a single common wouldn't be as brave.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting idea. Rounding up damage... It would make a single hailstorm more interesting. I would split the Bullseye to target 4 different units.

my only issue is that as a constructed event people couldn't just 'show up' and play.
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one last idea, I'm not sure if the swamp stalker reprints will be ready, but could the undead ability as mentioned above be done with sealed swamp stalkers instead, as a kind of "Mega Mutation" event? (all of the armies are slowly mutated into swamp stalkers...)

you could always use 2 packs of random races then 2 packs of swamp stalkers, so the armies still match up.

Just a thought. Mr. Green
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swamp Stalkers will not be ready.....
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aravynn wrote:
Just one last idea, I'm not sure if the swamp stalker reprints will be ready, but could the undead ability as mentioned above be done with sealed swamp stalkers instead, as a kind of "Mega Mutation" event? (all of the armies are slowly mutated into swamp stalkers...)

you could always use 2 packs of random races then 2 packs of swamp stalkers, so the armies still match up.

Just a thought. Mr. Green
sadly neither undead nor swampies will be ready by this gencon, but I like the idea for next gencon.

I'm sure I"ll forget so someone younger who eats more fish can remind me.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Feb format for Windy City
it has a bit of MTG flavor maybe Ryan might like it.
(effect)
Quote:
I'm putting in all the events on 2/1, so we have 7 more days for someone to propose an idea.

Format is: Sinking Tower

Frontier must be a castle.
Sinking Tower Effect:
If electing to choose tower as the 8th face option when capturing the 8th face on a Castle,
you gain Sinking Tower Effect.
If your army can remain at the Tower/Castle and turn the terrain to the 1 magic face you win the game.
Spells that turn the terrain down will count.

If your army leaves the terrain, the sinking Castle effect expires.

Note the Sinking Castle Effect does not get double saves and maneuvers if you leave the 8th face, ends if you change the castle power,
and does not require a second 8th face to win.

36 health
Standard tournament rules. See the SFR website at http://www.sfr-inc.com/StarterRules.pdf
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year I try to tweak and do things a little better. This year we aren't having any playtest events (they were poorly attended last year), so I put a comparable Daemon Diceā„¢ event near each Dragon Diceā„¢ event. This allows those players who want to play, to play and gives us an extra table. There are several sealed/draft and constructed events.

My Thursday night event ended up being a mixture. You bring part of an army and the other part is randomly decided (a pack of a random race). The idea is to be able to construct to deal with the unexpected. I know you want to ask about magic points, but see if you can figure out what the answer will be. Smile

There are some really good discounts in a few of these events because we need to show Gencon that our events are being played to retain the amount of table space we want. if we don't, then someday they may restrict the number of events we can host. Think of it as a hidden discount for being a forum member and notice what is said vs what you think is said Smile

Dragon Diceā„¢: Novice
New players borrow a starter pack of dice & experience the thrill of combat while learning the game. Swiss format.
Max Players: 12
Cost: $ 2
Date/Time: 8/4/16 9:00 AM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/4/16 3:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/4/16 8:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/5/16 9:00 AM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/5/16 3:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/5/16 8:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/6/16 9:00 AM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/6/16 3:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/6/16 8:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/7/16 10:00 AM - Duration: 2

Daemon Diceā„¢: Novice
New players borrow a starter pack of dice & experience the thrill of combat while learning the game. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/4/16 11:00 AM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/4/16 5:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/5/16 11:00 AM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/5/16 5:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/6/16 11:00 AM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/6/16 5:00 PM - Duration: 2
Date/Time: 8/7/16 12:00 PM - Duration: 2

===============================================================
Dragon Diceā„¢:Sealed-Starter
Build a 30-health army from the contents of a starter. Random Packs will be assigned at the start of the first round. Swiss format.
Cost: $ 24
Date/Time: 8/4/16 9:00 AM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢:Sealed-Starter
Build a 13 point daemon from starter pack; included in ticket price. Random packs will be assigned at the start of the 1st round. Swiss format.
Max Players: 6
Cost: $ 12
Date/Time: 8/4/16 10:00 AM - Duration: 2

Dragon Diceā„¢: No Magicians!
Sharpen your blades, string your bows, but magicians stay at home! Bring a 36-health army, no magic-using, expansion or promo dice are allowed. Swiss format.
Cost: $ 4
Date/Time: 8/4/16 2:00 PM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢: Mongrels
Sometimes the best traits don't come from good breeding! Bring a 13-point mongrel daemon, every die must be unique by body part and breed. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/4/16 3:00 PM - Duration: 2

Dragon Diceā„¢:Mercenaries
Bring any 20-health army,terrains&dragons. A random pack will be added to your build at the start of the first round. No expansion, promo dice allowed. Swiss format.
Cost: $ 8
Date/Time: 8/4/16 7:00 PM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢:Mercenary Halfbreed
Sometimes your ancestry is unknown to you. Bring any 6-health daemon. A random pack (13 points) will be added to your build at the start of the first round. Swiss format.

Dragon Diceā„¢: Single Race
Bring a 36-health army of a single race, with at most 4 commons, 3 uncommons, 2 rares, & 1 monster of any type, & fight it out. No expansion, promo dice allowed. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/5/16 9:00 AM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢: Purebreds
Sometimes the best traits come from the best breeding! Bring a 13-point purebred daemon, every die must be from the same breed. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/5/16 10:00 AM - Duration: 2

Dragon Diceā„¢: Draft
Not everyone volunteers to throw themselves into war. Build a 30 health army drafted from a random pool. All dice included in ticket price. Swiss format.
Cost: $ 16
Date/Time: 8/5/16 2:00 PM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢: Draft
Not all daemons are built from the best parts. Build a 13 health daemon drafted from a random pool. All dice included in ticket price. Swiss format.
Cost: $ 6
Date/Time: 8/5/16 3:00 PM - Duration: 2

Dragon Diceā„¢: Sealed - Kickers
Play a 30-health army from the contents of 2 kickers. Packs will be chosen at the start of the 1st round. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/5/16 7:00 PM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢: Sealed - Booster
Play a 13-health daemon from the contents of a booster. Packs will be chosen at the start of the 1st round. Swiss format.

Dragon Diceā„¢:Sealed-Starter
Build a 30-health army from the contents of a starter. Random Packs will be assigned at the start of the first round. Swiss format.
Cost: $ 24
Date/Time: 8/6/16 9:00 AM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢:Sealed-Starter
Your vile constructs crawl from the vats looking for battle & blood. Starter pack included in ticket price. Random packs will be assigned at the start of the 1st round. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/6/16 10:00 AM - Duration: 2

Dragon Diceā„¢: World Championship
Bring your 36-health army (no more than 18-health of magicians) plus all summoning pool components & compete for the title of Dragon Diceā„¢ World Champion! Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/6/16 2:00 PM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢: Lord Champion
Bring your most deadly 13 die daemon & compete for the title of Daemon Lord Champion! Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/6/16 3:00 PM - Duration: 2

Dragon Diceā„¢: Battlefest
Bring a 60-health army. None of the normal army construction limits, including limitations on the number of magic users or number of any individual die, apply. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/6/16 7:00 PM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢: Daikaiju
With the strength to attack a city, be sure to attack first! Bring your most breathtaking 31-health daemon. Swiss format.

Dragon Diceā„¢: Sealed - Single Race
The races segregate themselves for war. 2 Kickers, Terrains, & Dragons provided. Packs assigned randomly at the start of the 1st round. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/7/16 10:00 AM - Duration: 4

Daemon Diceā„¢:Sealed-Twins
Build 2 daemons from 26 dice. Both daemons fight individually head to head each round. All dice included in ticket price. Swiss format.
Date/Time: 8/7/16 11:00 AM - Duration: 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: