SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DREAMATION 2016 Post-Convention Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:15 pm GMT    Post subject: DREAMATION 2016 Post-Convention Report Reply with quote

DREAMATION 2016 (February 18-21, 2016) Post-Convention Results for the SFR events (events not mentioned did not have enough attendance):

C398: Dragon Diceā„¢: Campaigns of Esfah - This event had 3 attendees for a 3-way game. The board was set up with 18 tiles (territories). Victory conditions: 1st player to start their turn with 9 territories. Races represented were Dwarves, Frostwings, and Treefolk. The Frostwings player was easily able to take and hold three territories in 3 turns, but a significant factor was the initial placement, where the Frostwings player cleverly established a consolidated position that only left 4 territories next to opponents, allowing him to leave two territories garrisoned with only a single unit, while the other players started with all their territories adjacent to one or more enemies.

C458: The 2016 New Jersey State Dragon Diceā„¢ Championship: Single Race Intermediate Event. Russ Lockwood won this event with a Morehl™ army.

C523: The 2016 New Jersey State Dragon Diceā„¢ Championship: Constructed Starter Intermediate Event. Michael Schuller won this event with a Dwarf/LE constructed starter army.

C592: The 2016 New Jersey State Dragon Diceā„¢ Championship: Constructed Army Advanced Event. Jared Schuller won this event with a combination of Dwarves/Goblins/Eldarim.

C591: Dragon Diceā„¢: Campaigns of Esfah. This was a 4-player game with two teams of 2 players (Goblins/Treefolk vs Dwarves/Scalders). The board was assembled with 20 tiles (territories). Victory conditions: 1st team to start the turn in control of 14 territories. This game was largely influenced by magic, as the Dwarves, Treefolk, and Goblins huddled their magicians on territories with Standing Stones to enhance their magic-casting. The Treefolk would cast a dragon to send it to a lightly garrisoned Dwarven territory to eliminate the garrison, and then Reserve Move into the now-empty territory. The Dwarves would summon a dragon to attack an enemy territory in combination with a Dwarven and/or Scalder invading army. The Goblins tried to imitate the Dwarven strategy. The Scalders never attempted to mass their magicians, as they controlled no territories with Standing Stones. The Dwarven mages outperformed the Treefolk and Goblins, but the game was decided with armies more than magic. The Dwarves and Scalders managed to integrate their armies more effectively than the Goblins and Treefolk, allowing the two races to attack and defend together more often to take advantages of both races' abilities, which appeared to matter in several close contests. The Treefolk mage army was attacked, and while it summoned a dragon to help defend itself, a nasty volley from the Dwarven/Scalder army forced the Treefolk player to take the dragon as a casualty, and eventually the Treefolk mages were eliminated. The territory itself was in such a strategic position to allow the Dwarven/Scalder offensive to continue. A showdown with the Goblins was next, which lasted the full three rounds, as the largest armies of both sides whacked and chipped away at each other, with only a couple of dice left on each side, the Dwarves got lucky and put away the last of the Goblins on the last roll of the last combat round before they would have been forced to retreat for failing to defeat the defender in 3 rounds.

C675: The 2016 New Jersey State Dragon Diceā„¢ Championship: Sealed Starter Intermediate Event. No players signed up for this event.

C748: The 2016 New Jersey State Dragon Diceā„¢ Championship: Battlefest! Advanced Event. Jared Schuller won this event with a combination of Dwarves/Morehl™/Eldarim/magic items.

C747: Dragon Diceā„¢ Novice Tournament. Dave Beever won this event with a Firewalker army. Ryan Hooker placed second with a Frostwings army.

C813: The 2016 New Jersey State Dragon Diceā„¢ Championship Final Round. This was a bit unusual, as only Jared Schuller showed up for the final round (and without his dice!), but while he would win by default, I made him play for it nonetheless. For the final round, the players are permitted to choose any format - as long as all agree to it. As Jared did not even bring his dice, we agreed to a "draft format" from a common pool of 150 dice that I provided, which included an excellent selection of Dwarves, Eldarim, Goblins, Morehl™, some magic items, a smattering of Firewalkers and Scalders, as well as Dragonkin, hybrid dragons, mono-colored dragons, and a white dragon.

Players alternated selecting dice, so each was aware of what the other selected. Armies were chosen first, then dragons, then dragonkin, then terrains. Jared assembled a Dwarves/Eldarim/Morehl™ army with a Gold Medallion. I assembled a Goblin/Eldarim/Firewalker/Morehl™/Treefolk army with a Gold Medallion. Both sides had Dragon Lairs for the Frontier (Highland and Swampland).

I won the Initiative and elected to go first. The Horde army was at a Highlands terrain at 2 (magic). I rolled for magic and the Unicorn rolled Teleport, which permitted me to bring the Unicorn, a Leopard Rider, and the Medallion to the Home Army, which was a Swampland at 6 (melee). That got me a local advantage to inflict significant damage on Jared's Horde army, receiving minor damage back from a Counter SAI. That set the pace of the game, as Jared tried to recover while I regrouped and captured the Home terrain. Fingers of Death were more effective than dragons, as a Dragonslayer was in Jared's army, and Dancing Lights suppressed his ability to cast magic. Round 1 to Dan.

A second draft was agreed upon from the remaining dice (discarding the dice used for the 1st round). Jared assembled a Goblin/Eldarim/Morehl™ army with a black Dragonstaff. I assembled a Goblin/Eldarim/Morehl™ army with a Gold Medallion and a Behemoth. Jared has more Goblins than I, so I can expect him to win more maneuver rolls at the Swamplands. The Behemoth ended up being a pivotal die. Jared had black dragons and a Dragonslayer. I had gold dragons and a black Dragonhunter and black Dragonzealot. We were both prepared for each other dragons, but no dragons would show up for this fight.

I chose a Feyland Grove for the Frontier and a Highlands Temple. Jared chose Swampland for his home and a Highland Vortex at the Frontier. After a tie for Initiative, I win the 2nd roll for Initiative and elect to go first. Jared chooses the Highlands terrain. Both sides have strong Horde and Campaign armies.

I indicate I want to maneuver Jared's Home terrain, but instead of letting me just turn the die, he forces me to roll for it and he rolls his single Goblin 1-health army, while I roll my 18-health army with the Gold Medallion. The Medallion rolls a Wayfare, permitting me to move the Gold Medallion and the Unicorn to the Frontier (and the remaining maneuver results still win the Maneuver Roll). After mopping up the 1-health enemy army, my 2nd March is at the Frontier and I want to change the die from a 3 (missile), and he challenges, so we roll for maneuvers. The only Dwarven unit present on either side is my Behemoth, which generates maneuvers (doubled for the Highlands), and this is just the bonus I need to win the maneuver roll and turn the terrain to 4 (melee), so I attack. The Behemoth rolls the Charge SAI, a Death Mage rolls a Cantrip (used for Stoneskins), and the Unicorn has also rolled its Trample SAI, which generates 4 melee and 4 maneuvers. The end result is 19 damage. Jared now rolls a combination roll, as dictated by the Charge SAI. One Counter SAI is rolled, plus 4 other melee results, but only a total of 8 saves. Jared loses 11 while I lose 6 (thanks to the 2 Stoneskins).

Jared rolls for magic at his Home, trying to recover his losses, and pulls the Campaign Army back to Reserve.

I advance the Frontier terrain while rolling for magic at Jared's Home terrain, adding Dragonkin. Both armies succeed in recovering their opening losses and Jared advances his reconstituted army to the Frontier to challenge me while it's on 7.

I roll for magic at Jared's Home and get enough to move all but one unit to the Frontier, and a Stoneskin. We roll for maneuvers at the Frontier and I just make it, capturing the Highland Vortex. While its tempting to attack, I roll for magic instead (as Jared has five dice with the Counter SAI) and augment the army with gold Dragonkin. Jared tried to maneuver me off, but it's a forlorn hope, so he attacks, getting a Rend SAI, triggering a Burning Hands, and using a Morehl™ Cantrip to cast Necromantic Wave, generating an impressive 37 points of damage. My save roll looks bad at first glance, but I get 32 saves, thanks to 8th Face doubling, the Stoneskin, and the Dragonkin automatic saves, and I let the 5 health of Dragonkin I have take the losses. Now I'll counter-attack, scoring two Smite SAIs with the Eldarim Champions, and a re-roll of the Troll (thanks to the Vortex 8th Face) gets me a third Smite, but otherwise only 8 normal damage. Jared groans at the Smites and reluctantly takes the loses. The save roll easily negates the 8 normal damage, but only one Counter SAI is rolled. I take the 4-point damage, but Jared has suffered more damage than I and cannot stay with a third of his army absent. He can retreat to Reserve to try to recoup his losses, but recognizes that an army casting magic from a Vortex is likely to have strong magic results often enough to generate constant damage from Finger of Deaths to slowly kill off the army, so Jared conceded.

We both found the "draft from a common pool" format to be quite different, but entertaining - especially from as rich a pool of dice as was available. The ability to assess the opponent's strategy and adjusting during selection was an interesting twist.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
Hexgnome13

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reviving this awesome game for me! I'm excited to find more events and tournaments and start really playing again.
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:04 pm GMT    Post subject: DREAMATION: February 18-21, 2016 at the Morristown Hyatt, NJ Reply with quote

I'm a bit busy for the next 3 weeks, but if you want to get together to play, or if I host a gaming session at my place for Dragon Diceā„¢ or Campaigns of Esfah, I can send you a PM (or we can exchange e-mails).
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: