SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEXCON 19 Report (LONG)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:07 pm GMT    Post subject: DEXCON 19 Report (LONG) Reply with quote

We had a tremendous time at DEXCON 19 in Morristown, NJ this year. DEXCON is a regional gaming convention that caters particularly to indie gamers. It attracts many small gaming companies and startups, and really breaks into three subgroups: LARPs, RPGs, and Board Games. SFR is pretty much the sole representative in collectible gaming, and we share the board game space. About 2000 badges were issued, for staff, reps, GMs, and participants over the five days of the con (June 29-July 3)

I ran a number of events for SFR, along with doing demos of Dragon Dice™ and Daemon Dice™. I didn’t track exactly how many demos we did or how many people tried the game, but we had about 12-16 unique participants in our Novice events, and probably about the same number of unique demo players. (I want to pause here to thank my demo team/minions Robert, Jonathan, and especially demo master Stefanie Braun for their help. The wildest demo I’ve ever seen involved Stef teaching two girls about her own age at 11 PM.) One twist in our demo participation this year is that we were really hopping from 10PM-midnight on both Friday and Saturday as board game events let out.

Daemon Dice™ activity picked up this year. We ran many demos and several Novice events, and for some repeat players we tried some “make your own daemon” games, which they loved. We will definitely have at least one Daemon Dice™ constructed event next year. (Don’t worry, Dan, I’ll run it.)

We introduced the 3.0 rules at DEXCON. They were very positively received. I anticipated that National games would run longer as players went through the rules, especially spell lists, but my impression is that they actually moved faster. We found a few small issues to report, but our experience shows SFR is on the right track.

We were missing a number of our usual veteran players due to scheduling conflicts, but we still were able to run most of our Advanced events. The winners were (with their general army races):

Single Race:
1st- Dave Beever: Feral
2nd- Stefanie Braun: Coral Elves

Advanced Constructed
1st- Amelia Brot: Feral
2nd- Steve Braun: Dwarves

Battlefest:
1st- Jonathan Braun: Dragonslayers
2nd- Stefanie Braun: Coral Elves
3rd- Robert Braun: Frostwings

Sealed Box was moved to Sunday morning, and was run as an informal event in which we had a novice player learning the game while the event played out, so there was no formal winner. We ran it as a “split box,” with each player receiving one of the armies, 2 terrains, 2 dragons, and a playmat. This allowed me to keep the price down a bit.

Of course, what you really want know is the new National Champion. We used a scoring format in which a player received 3 points for a clear win (2 terrains/eliminate opponent), 2 for a partial win (1 terrain to 0 at time out), 1.5 for a draw (both players have 0 or 1 terrain at time out), 1 point for a partial loss (0 terrains to 1 at time out), and 0 for a clear loss. This scoring system was used to eliminate health in play as a tiebreaker. In the event of a tie for first, an additional game would have been played. The results, with a general army concept, are:

4th: Amelia Brot: Feral
3rd: Stefanie Braun: Coral Elves
2nd: Dave Beever: Feral with a Frostwing splash

And the 2016 Dragon Dice™ National Champion, using a Frostwing army, is Jonathan Braun. Jonathan won the 2008 Nationals (with Frosties, at a few days shy of 13 years old, and beating Dan Burkley in the process), so this is his second trophy. I will post the National Championship army in the “Game Strategy” topic on the forum.

I had planned to run some concept games to try ideas for Dragon Dice™ rules changes, but was unable to squeeze them in.

It was a blast to be back this year. Meeting up with Dave, Amelia, Noah, and all the other players of both Dragon Dice™ and Daemon Dice™ made a weekend of long days fly by. I’m looking forward to seeing all the old and new players again next July, and having Dan, Jared, Mike and all the “old-timers” back as well.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great time!

Was Jonathan running a missile army? I'm curious if the new Tower ability saw any play.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Jon and Stef ran missile armies, and both brought Towers, but neither had opportunity to use it, either because they didn't capture their own Tower or they had no target in Reserves or a better target at a terrain. Jon did get shot at once in Reserves, but his Frosties saved against it.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: