SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic rules
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:17 am GMT    Post subject: Graphic rules Reply with quote

OMG guys! Fantastic job on 3.0 GRs . I just threw out my huge binder of custom rules stuff except for my pages of Dice Facets for each race and all the other dice. If you could add that kind of thing and add a strategy section for each race , I think you would have the perfect new Dice commanders manual and should charge something for the download! Personally, if you added a strat section and a dice analysis section, and finalized the rules or made it so I could download updates for free, I'd pay 20 bucks for the download. Fantastic job guys! This actually got me excited about this game again...just when I was thinking of selling my last 2 TSR Unseelies..lol!
Shocked
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 pm GMT    Post subject: graphic rules errors Reply with quote

Only found 3 errors:
1.The picture of the play area has some area numbers out of place.
2. The Amazons are missing the "firewalking" SAI .(Nightmare)
3. The Amazons are missing the "horseshoe" icon over the maneuvers in basic icon section.(Nightmare)
Thanks again for streamlining the rules and making it much easier to get my gaming group playing this again. Surprised
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:04 am GMT    Post subject: some omissions? Reply with quote

In the graphics rules are the following 3 spells able to do damage without the targeted army/unit being allowed a save roll?

Hailstorm
Firebolt
Firestorm

I believe you intended for these spells to trigger a save roll, but that is nowhere in the rules.

Perhaps a " targeted army/unit is allowed a save roll." should be added to these spells? If not, they seem to be awfully powerful.

please let me know asap so I can adjust my rule notebook, thanks, Dennis
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you enjoy them.

That file is very draft, so I know it contains errors, but thanks for finding these. You may want to hold onto your other rulesheets for a little while longer until this is finished and released.

The intention is for those to have a save, I'll double check the wording on them.

I've always had a hard time charging for a rulebook as it is likely to be out of date almost as soon as you print it. However, once things settle down, maybe a strategy guide could be added in a similar format to those pages, but as a separate document. i.e. you could slip the pages together in your notebook to create the DCM you want.

These types of pages could also work in an RPG style document, but that is a dream for now.
Joe October
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 am GMT    Post subject: Suggestion on Graphical Rules Reply with quote

Yes, they are indeed a welcome addition for us newbies.

I would recommend you put an example die on the Race Summary pages so the players can see the actual die colors on the page. I know it's not possible to display them all but one to match the dice we have would be great.

(I'm not adept just yet at recognizing what dice are who.)

Thanks!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

good suggestion. It'll be a bit until an updated document can be put out, but I'll put this request on the list!
Joe October
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:07 am GMT    Post subject: Ahh yes, and the Obligatory Background Info Reply with quote

One of the manuals had a one (or so) page summary of the world of Estefah? Did I remember that correctly?

Since this in theory replaces that, I would include the obligatory theme.

My thinking was when training a new player, give them the dice race summary for their race. While this may mean that some information is duplicated, it would not be for the player who didn't have the opportunity to go through the whole manual.

This thing screams to be in a notebook in sheet protectors or in a ring bound print out .... perfect bind or hard bound doesn't grab me like that.
Devildog

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. This is my first post here, so bear with me if I miss something.

(Disclaimer: I loved the game in the 90s, lost track of it and gaming in general [Marine Corps, career, etc] but rediscovered it at GenCon just the other week. I visited the booth a few times and made some purchases...)

Anyway, I'm downloading the 70+ rulebook today and I want to make sure that's essentially all I need?

Thanks for your time and help.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devildog wrote:
Anyway, I'm downloading the 70+ rulebook today and I want to make sure that's essentially all I need?

That would be this one at 79 pages (http://www.sfr-inc.com/StarterRules.pdf) and you can learn the game from it.

I will point out that these are version 2.9 rules and we are developing some 3.0 rules as separate documents. Same dice and same basic game, but some interactions resolve differently.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to download the 3.0 graphical rules. Those have a much easier learning curve. While those are still in draft (beta?), they are pretty much playable.

We will be making some fairly big edits on the 3.0 rules by the end of the month. We learned a lot from GenCon and from feedback from our players. Thanks to everyone that have posted suggestions, comments, and other useful advice to us! We really feel that Dragon Diceâ„¢ belongs to all our players.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:00 am GMT    Post subject: magic analysis paralysis Reply with quote

This may be a better "house rule variant" but going to throw it out there anyway. In the 200 or so games I've played, the main thing that slowed the game to a crawl instead of the fast paced brawl it should be, was magic point computation and division between colors along with spell purchase.
I have been "house ruling" that when taking any type of magic action, you only get to play one color of spells (and/or elemental spells of course). This has led to a quicker computation of points avaliable along with quicker choosing of spells as it cuts down on decisions. Amazingly enough . it has also led to some interesting strategic choices and gameplay.
I have a list of House rules that I go over with the 3 or 4 players that I play with each time and we all mutually agree this is one that should be incorporated as a standard rule.
If you want a "flavored" reason it would be that mages can only focus on one of natures elements at a time, magic being as powerful as it is. Very Happy
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:12 pm GMT    Post subject: another error found Reply with quote

Goblins spell description for "Summon Dragonkin" is the same as "Summon Dragon". on Goblin sheet. Very Happy
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Embarassed

Good catch. I'll make sure thats fixed along with all the other updates.
Ostadan

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:43 am GMT    Post subject: "Health Points"? Reply with quote

On page 2, the current draft tells to "Select total force size in health points." However, that term is not defined on that page, nor – unlike the Starter Rules in the present 2-player starter set – in the Dice Types description on page 1. It does not seem to have been mentioned in this discussion, and probably should be fixed in something called a Quick Start. The health points can be inferred by a diligent reader from the column headings in the dice descriptions, but it does not seem that this is what is intended.

Lovely layout in general. The two-page format for each race means you can print the two pages together in landscape mode on a single page, fold, trim, and have a handy (if slightly small-print) two-sided reference card.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those first few pages are what are the 'most draft' at this point. So many details to work out. Smile
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

need to mention the 1/2 magic unit restriction also...but like the previous poster said, fantastic layout, keep it segmented for easy updates please.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggsaladsandwich wrote:
keep it segmented for easy updates please.
what level of segmentation would you advise?
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like you have it currently, its great so far. Razz
Joe October
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Home Page Links Current Version? Reply with quote

The Graphical Rules are great (as you well know) and the technical version is superior as well.

Is the latest version linked off the home page? (It looks like it's a version behind.)

Even a novice like me noticed a few errors (nothing major but one can tell you aren't done yet).

Keep up the great work!!!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Home Page Links Current Version? Reply with quote

Joe October wrote:
The Graphical Rules are great (as you well know) and the technical version is superior as well.

Is the latest version linked off the home page? (It looks like it's a version behind.)

Even a novice like me noticed a few errors (nothing major but one can tell you aren't done yet).

Keep up the great work!!!

That is the latest release version. we are behind on releasing the 3.0.1 update, but it is coming and we are trying to get 3.1 behind it in a more timely fashion.

There are just too many things in the day to do and something always gets left undone.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: