SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misshapen die

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shepdog69
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Misshapen die Reply with quote

I had bought a bunch of dice and was incorporating them into my collection (got my first Magi, yay!), when I found an odd one. It's a mugger, but it's misshapen. It's too short in one direction, and too long in another. I wouldn't have noticed, but I had them all lined up next to each other, and it looked like it was in a depression on the table.

Further inspection showed the dimensional issue, which makes some of the faces look off center.

Anyone ever see anything like that?

I would post a pic, but I don't know how to do that.

Update: I measured it with calipers st work. It measures 15.2 x 15.4 x 16.5mm
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never measured my dice, but I have seen that some of them come out slightly smaller than others.

I tried to make a photo mosaic out of dice once and it was horrible because there were little gaps and height differences where a die wasn't the right size.

The polishing of the die happens in a big tumbler, so I suppose if it is polished too much on one side that side would end up shorter as it's been rubbed off.

so what you've gotten is one edge of a random distribution curve, but not so bad that it was removed at the factor as a defect.
shepdog69
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the edges is too large (16.5mm), so I don't think polishing would explain the die. Granted, I don't know the manufacturing process, but I would expect more uniform polishing (there is 1.2 mm difference between the widest and narrowest faces). Additionally, the maneuver icons are a little wider on the long faces. "Smooshed" is the description that comes to mind. Certainly an oddity. Kind of fun for me too, because I work in manufacturing quality.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:09 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah.

it was described to us one that the molds are still carved by hand. they take our EPS files and blow them up to 400 percent and use that to hand trace the mold.

so each cavity is slightly different than another.

I suppose it's possible that one cavity is mishapen, but having never measured a lot of the dice, that would be really hard to prove.
shepdog69
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no!

Terrible thing to tell a Quality Engineer. Lol

Now I want to go home and measure dice....

Hopefully this works (links to pics)

Dimensionals:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzyDn5U96cE9cUxJZ1dCQWw2X1k

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzyDn5U96cE9aWRrV2NDOEZIT1E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzyDn5U96cE9TW5GaTZkR3EyUmc

Shows wide move icon
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzyDn5U96cE9MHM2UXVWTVNXd2M

Shows height difference (16.5mm vs 16mm)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzyDn5U96cE9Qkt2SEdVVFM2VlU

I wouldn't think this is common. At least I would hope not, because it could affect probability.

I guess I should also say that I have no idea when I got this die. It might be old. Maybe someone can tell by the plastic coloration.

It'll probably stick it with my misprints..
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked to discover it as well. why do i provide a non-raster file if they aren't going to use it? As a mathematician, the non-exactness bothered me too.

Based on the coloring of the gold and the strong separation of the colors (ie swirls, not speckles). I would assume that is an older die.

We recently learned that the molds go through periodic maintenance and are remade as they wear out. during that maintenance it is possible for anything to change. (such as icon rotation or misprints - see Lava Elf issue from 2014 or 15).

So if this is an old die as I suspect, then the cavity that created that die has likely been replaced as it wore out.

as for the 'fairness' of dice. that is a whole other discussion. The way all compressed dice 'cure' or melt internally could affect fairness. The way most injected dice (which almost always have bubbles), solidify can affect fairness.
shepdog69
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:25 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure way more goes into dice balance than I know. I'll leave that to dice manufacturers Smile

Mostly, I was curious if anyone else had seen one. This was something noticeable, though only when dice were lined up. I've never seen this in any other dice, of any other race, and I've been playing since at least 2003.

Whatever the cause, it's going with my misprints. Would hate to accidentally trade or sell it Very Happy
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:33 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

shepdog69 wrote:
I'm sure way more goes into dice balance than I know. I'll leave that to dice manufacturers Smile
some pay more attention to it than others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Dice discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: