SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Problem with Scare and Wither...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theknightofjello
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:18 am GMT    Post subject: The Problem with Scare and Wither... Reply with quote

Can we talk about how bad the Undead SAI Scare and Wither are when compared to their counterparts? Given that undead are at a distinct disadvantage with no missile units. Shouldn't their melee SAIs be at least commensurate to other melee units if not a teeny bit better.

Wither is in competition with smite and while it adds an interesting effect shouldn't it be more melee oriented? For Instance what if Wither Icons acted like a miniature slay Icon. Instead of dealing four points of damage with no save like smite, you can choose up to 3 health worth of units to roll an id icon or die.

Scare is no where near counter! Not only does counter count as both a Save and Melee, it does 4 points of damage with no save roll. What if Scare was changed to at least generate Melee results and Saves as well. With an added bonus of targeting and sending 3 health of units back to the reserve with no save possible

I love the undead and I think they are a great Army but these SAIs are some of the worst in the game when compared to commensurate units. I'm not trying to break the game but I only ask that these SAIs be improved to a degree that they are at least on a level playing field with Smite and Counter.

TL/DR : Scare and wither are Terrible compared to smite and counter and in my opinion need to be buffed.

Thanks for the read
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:19 am GMT    Post subject: Re: The Problem with Scare and Wither... Reply with quote

theknightofjello wrote:

TL/DR : Scare and wither are Terrible compared to smite and counter and in my opinion need to be buffed.
Agreed and we plan to have a release where these and many other SAI's are looked at to either be buffed or nerfed.

The swamp stalkers have similar issues with their SAI's. coil? ugh.
theknightofjello
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that is awesome to hear! Thanks for the reply. I agree Coil is awful and I can't wait to see how you fix it. Do you have an estimated date of that?

Also have you thought about changing the original 4 races racial abilities to make them seem less like clones of one another and to give them a little more flavor when compared to the expansion races racials?

Thanks again
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are new to the forum, so here is the cliff's notes version of stuff you can find elsewhere on the forum.

The last major update to the rules was years and years ago. As new dice are produced and 'the average gamer' changes to want a different style of entertainment, any living games rules should shift with that. So what we called 3.0 was long over due because it was such a massive undertaking. We are also very conservative with making changes, so we do them with a lot of thought and reflection.

Rather than take it all in one go, we decided to cut it into functional pieces and release them slowly. There are a few things we know will have to be changed twice, but that has a loose plan.

The foundation pieces related to the turn sequence and how to count results and how modifiers are applied was done earlier this year just before Gencon. After that convention's events we found several things that needed to be fixed immediately. We were planning to release those at the end of next week, but may have to shift that out slightly.

After that we have a loose plan to update racial abilities, balance a lot of the sai's (particularly those monster only sais), change up minor terrains, redo spells again, etc.

We are not committing ourselves to dates that far in advance, but keep an eye on the forum and we sometimes tip our hand to get feedback and give previews.

Not everything we change will be favorable received, specially if we are changing someones favorite army. But everything we do is for the balance and promotion of the game.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: