SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New royal dice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:38 pm GMT    Post subject: New royal dice Reply with quote

Is there any thought about producing a couple new "Royalty" dice to cover the rest of the races?
I am going to make 2 prototypes with the following faces:
"Death races" Royalty die--Logo, Undead, Frostwing, Swampstalker, Goblin, Lava Elf
"Young races" Royaly die--Logo, Feral, Scalder, Treefolk, Firewalker, Eldarim
Razz
I am going to pick up one of those small 3d printers and see if I can make a couple of these as my first project..for personal use only of course, not for sale Cool .
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've talked about this a lot over the years. what to do with the kings die.

there are a few big issues.

1) profitability - could we actually sell enough to break even? the cost of the molds and minimum production runs says no unless the price was so high that we then have to ask if anyone would pay that much.

2) usability - there have been many different rules for the kings die tried over the years and none of them have brought the dice into play unless you get it so over powered it is a must have die and as a company we don't produce must have dice.

3) extendibility - I know we haven't produced a new race in a few years because we've had to do reprints of older races, but eventually we have races we want to produce. as soon as you get royal dice for all the existing races, what about the next new one? it suddenly doesn't have a royalty die for it.

there are things that can be done to solve all three, but it's just not the highest priority.
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point about mold cost and future races. What about SFR picking up a 3d printer and selling custom dice on demand for situations like these? Seems it might even pay for itself relatively quickly at 10 bucks a die.
As a side note, when I play with my group, each player gets the use of the royaly die at the beginning of each turn for free.
You guys have already used up all the color combos for races, are you thinking of adding another color/element? We have fire, water, earth, air, death, what would the 6th color represent? I guess you could make 5 different half ivory human type races...ie ivory/red Barbarians, ivory/green Pirates etc..
Shocked
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several ideas like those that have been thrown around.

For the last several years our issue has been one of 'reprints' and 'rules'. There are several races that are currently unavailable and I know that before we get those all back into circulation, there are some others that will become out of print.

It is always a difficulty for a company with as many products as we have to keep everything in stock. Eventually you end up in a cycle (like we are), where all your resources are spent in continuing the status quo.

We could be like other companies and take the route of letting old products go out of print, never to be seen again...

But other companies come and go, while we remain. So I have to think we are doing something right in our approach. I hesitate to change it too much and cause the company to implode.

on the other hand, without something new, our existing player base will have nothing to spend their money on. You only need so many Pelters.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
You only need so many Pelters.

That's not always true. Smile (Although getting married and having to pay bills has probably put that to an end.)
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Dice discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: