SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noob questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slaphammer
dragonfoal

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Noob questions Reply with quote

I picked up the Treefolk/Firewalker starter and we just played our first game. My wife crushed my Firewalker army. I have several questions. I suspect some of these might be answered by looking at the full rulebook, but here goes:

1) I lost one fight badly and had a bunch of my guys go to the Dead Units Area. Everything was downhill from there...more and more of my dice ended up in the DUA and there didn't seem to be anything I could do to bring them back out. Is it supposed to be rare to recover dice from the DUA? The only ways I know how to do it are through recruiting, promoting, and casting a Resurrect Dead spell, but I didn't get the opportunity to do any of those things (the only way I know how to promote is to control a city, which I did not). Am I missing anything?

2) How does a monster ever get out of the DUA area? Resurrect Dead and recruiting are only for 1-health units. Can a 3-health d6 be promoted into a 4-health monster?

3) My Firewalker army has a lot of magic in it. It seems to me that this is only really useful when a terrain die is at 1 or when you control the terrain at side 8. Other than that, you're doing either missile or melee so all my magic icons were ignored. So I felt like I was at a distinct disadvantage having a lot of magic icons on my dice. Am I missing anything?

4) Some of the spells say they can be cast from the reserves. In these simplified starter rules, I couldn't find (or maybe I overlooked) anything about using the reserve army. Can you use one of your Marches to roll your reserve army (that is, skip the maneuver step and take an action)? If so, is your only option from reserves to try and generate magic to cast some spells?

5) If an army doesn't have an opposing army, does a maneuver automatically succeed? Or do they still need to roll at least one maneuver in order to change the terrain?

6) If a target army has a 2-health unit and a 1-health unit, and it takes 1 point of damage, does the target player have to kill the 1-health unit? Or can the 2-health unit absorb that damage to nullify the attack? We played that the 1-health must be killed, but not positive that's right.

7) When I roll Cantrip on my monster, does that count as 4 spell points? The first time I rolled it we counted it as 1, which is useless since the cheapest spell costs 2. But the second time I rolled it, we realized that it probably counts as 4 since all faces on a monster are supposed to count as 4. Going back to question #3, it seems like rolling Cantrip was my only opportunity to ever use magic when the terrain wasn't at 1 or 8 (with me in control of the terrain). However, Cantrip seems to operate on its own so I still didn't get to take advantage of any other magic icons.

Thanks!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If you lose a large part of your army, it can be tough to come back. That's what reserves are for (among other things), you can go there and try to bring back your units via Resurrect Dead spells.

2) Read the last part of the Resurrect Dead spell: "Multiple castings increase the number of health affected." So if you cast 4 Resurrect Dead spells, you can bring back 4 health. That could be a monster, 4 1-health units, or any combination up to 4.

3) Again look at magic in reserves. Can't be offensive magic, but it can be spells that help your armies. Some terrains have magic up to 4.

4) Look at the middle of page 3: "A march with a Reserve Army cannon attempt a maneuver and can only take a Magic action." Note that page 2 and page 3 refer to "Reserve Army" and that armies take a march.

5) Read closely the "Maneuver Resolution" on page 4. It should be clear that if there is no opponent at that terrain, the maneuver is uncontested. Only if the maneuver is contested is an actual roll made (step 3).

6) Look at the brown box text on page 4. "You must take as much damage as possible, but not more than needed." So in your example, you must kill the 1-health unit. If an army only takes 1 point of damage and only has 2-health or larger units, then it ignores the damage.

7) Monster's icons generate 4 points of effect unless the icon description specifically says otherwise. So a Cantrip on a monster generates 4 points of magic. If it rolled during a magic action, it simply counts as 4 points of magic. If rolled on any other non-maneuver roll, it counts as a 4 point magic action that interrupts the current action. And yes, if the terrain is at missile or melee, Cantrip is the only way to generate magic.

Thanks for the questions. We are trying to "clean up" our rules to make them easier to understand. Finding out where people are having problems really helps us do that better.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Slaphammer
dragonfoal

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that helps a lot.

So in my game where I had lost about 2/3 of my total army and my wife was pretty much at full strength, my only real option was to retreat every remaining die to the Reserves and then hope for lots of magic icons so I could rebuild via resurrection. Meanwhile, though, she would be maneuvering terrains with no opposition. So really that one battle which obliterated my army without harming hers was a point from which it would be really hard to recover from.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaphammer wrote:
So really that one battle which obliterated my army without harming hers was a point from which it would be really hard to recover from.

True, which is why sometimes it is better not to start a fight (melee action) that you may lose.

Everything in this game is a balance, so if your army doesn't save well enough to survive them attacking first, you should put more effort into winning the horde roll so you can take the first turn and avoid the fight.

and sometimes the dice are just against you and you lose after making no bad decisions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Dragon Dice™ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: