SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gencon2017 - Cliff's Event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 am GMT    Post subject: gencon201 - Cliff's Event Reply with quote

Every Gencon, the Thursday night event is Cliff's favorite. Always different, sometimes it flops.

Did anyone like the part constructed and part random event from last year?

From last year's discussion we had some good ideas we didn't get to play(http://sfr-inc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4841)

With Undead available by then (?), I like Shoe's idea of a house rule for using undead AS the resurrected dead. This could work as a pure sealed event.

I like constructed events, but sometimes sealed are better attended if they are cheap.

Any favorites or thoughts?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternately-

I'm playing around with an event built around the house rule for summoning Daemons instead of Dragons.

Some small spell or effect that summons a Daemon Diceā„¢ body part one at a time (thinking 2 magic per body part) and all body parts (from any player) merge into a single large daemon that acts as a dragon.

when small it's no big deal. when it gets larger it is unbeatable.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked about this tonight:

Have a game were people bring an standard army (36 health), only restriction from normal is no items. Each player get a Battle Chest expansion and one Silver Medallion. The contents each Battle Chest becomes a "pool" at that player's home terrain (i.e. just sitting at the terrain, not part of anyone's army). The Silver Medallion goes in the reserves like a Kings' Die.

Play starts normally, except that each player at the beginning of their turn at the "royalty phase", gets to roll the Silver Medallion. If the TSR icon comes up, they can select any magic items at any terrain where they have an army. That item goes into the reserves and is "held" by the Silver Medallion (which can hold any number of items). Items can be "picked up" by any unit in reserves (for this format ignore the color of the item) and moved normally. If the Silver Medallion rolls Wayfare during the royalty phase, and is holding at least one item, one item can be sent to any army at a terrain. If at any time an army at a terrain has more items than units, those items are dropped in the "pool" at that terrain. If an items is dropped in reserves, the Silver Medallion will hold it. Much like the Kings' Die, if all other units are dead, the Silver Medallion (and all items it is holding), are buried. Nothing can target or otherwise effect a Silver Medallion.

We are going to play this next month on February 4. We'll let you all know how it works....
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll delay putting in this one event until then I want to hear how that goes.

I'm also going to play a game or two with my daemon idea, both as a helper and a hindrance.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
We talked about this tonight:

Have a game were people bring an standard army (36 health), only restriction from normal is no items. Each player get a Battle Chest expansion and one Silver Medallion. The contents each Battle Chest becomes a "pool" at that player's home terrain (i.e. just sitting at the terrain, not part of anyone's army). The Silver Medallion goes in the reserves like a Kings' Die.

Play starts normally, except that each player at the beginning of their turn at the "royalty phase", gets to roll the Silver Medallion. If the TSR icon comes up, they can select any magic items at any terrain where they have an army. That item goes into the reserves and is "held" by the Silver Medallion (which can hold any number of items). Items can be "picked up" by any unit in reserves (for this format ignore the color of the item) and moved normally. If the Silver Medallion rolls Wayfare during the royalty phase, and is holding at least one item, one item can be sent to any army at a terrain. If at any time an army at a terrain has more items than units, those items are dropped in the "pool" at that terrain. If an items is dropped in reserves, the Silver Medallion will hold it. Much like the Kings' Die, if all other units are dead, the Silver Medallion (and all items it is holding), are buried. Nothing can target or otherwise effect a Silver Medallion.

We are going to play this next month on February 4. We'll let you all know how it works....

Looking forward to hearing how this event plays out.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be playing this tomorrow night. I'll post results here.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did it go?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This had some impact on play as the games went on. We had lousy luck on rolling the TSR face (only came up 3 times in about 30 rolls). Since the frontier didn't have a "pool" of items, people started leaving units at other homes so they could pick from that pool if a TSR face came up. The second game did better, we had about 5 items total in play by the end of our 3-player game.

It was actually a good thing Jim in particular in the first game never got a TSR face. He had 2 Trebuchets at his home with a missile army with a Tower. That could have hurt if he had gotten them.

The general consensus was that it was interesting, but really did not affect game balance at all since so few items came into play. One more thing to remember to do at the beginning of your turn. Might want to give the other sides of the Medallion something useful. For example, we talked about having Flurry give one army 4 extra melee one time that had to used that turn or lost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: