SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metro Detroit Area - Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Looking for other players?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The God of Myth
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 am GMT    Post subject: Metro Detroit Area - Michigan Reply with quote

Hey everyone, looking to see if there's anyone in the Metro Detroit Area of Michigan, I'm out of the Rochester/Sterling Heights area, my local game store is in Warren. I'm attempting to get interest generated at the store and get something going there.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in Michigan, but I wanted to give you support and applause for trying to generate interest!

Community Champions like you are what keeps the game alive.
The God of Myth
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I am getting some of my friends into it with my own dice as my father's and my collection is fairly substantial. Only the swampstalkers and frostwings as that was when distribution started to wane are what I don't have a lot of. I'm sure there's a topic but is there any support or suggestions on game representatives for regions?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't seen it on Facebook, we are starting to look into a Kickstarter to get Swamp Stalkers back into print.

There is a topic/forum for Rep support and it has some suggestions and documentation. That previous support program failed and we're discussing how to revamp and revive it.

I'm open to your input on what type of support you think would be appropriate/desired/expected.
The God of Myth
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have some time to truly flesh this out as I write this.

For the Demo-Kits, what I'm planning on putting together for myself is a briefcase with a Starter Kit, and 2 kickers, 1 for each of the two factions that come in the Starter for demo-purposes. I think that is probably the best way to try and explain/show what the game is about to someone, I also plan on having a binder with everything printed with all of the downloadable content, army faction rules, the starter rules, and the comprehensive rules. It's good to have all the material on hand in case there are any specific questions on hand. I also plan on having my full collection on hand on top of the demo kit to show the variety of the game in full.

Other than that I agree with how everything else is structured in terms of the demoing structure. The Rep Program I think is pretty well structured. I would look into rep rewards as the future goes forward and more steam picks up. As far as promotion and getting the word out. I'm going to be doing some demo games with my friend this upcoming weekend with my own stuff as I do not have any of the current starter stuff outside of printing off the downloadable material. Making everything accessible is key I feel and easily explained.

One thing that I do think is important to identify for anyone who is representing and demoing should look at whats being played at your local game stores, for instance the store I play at has a huge Wizkids community where regionals are constantly being held, so I can target the Dice Masters players and garner interest there. Identifying the demographics is critical when I'm promoting any gaming events in my area, whether it be for MtG or what have you. It's interesting as my friends who play MtG on the regular like myself saw this as MtG in Dice form, one of them is looking at getting into Frostwings and Swampstalkers when he read the army sheets but was sad to see Swampstalkers aren't out right now.

So right now I'm really trying to target specific days when I go to my store and try playing to get interest, I'll know more this weekend when I demo it at the store with my friend.

I really want to see this become as popular as it was in 1995/1996 when I played back in Rochester NY at the old Millennium Games. If there's any other information on becoming a Rep and hosting Demos I am planning on getting a better carry case so when I am at the store I can demo whenever anyone asks. I'm also looking at seeing if my store can get product for it as well, I know we have a huge board gaming community as well as a fairly large D&D crowd that I imagine would be interested in this game. It's just getting the material for promoting it and showing it to the right people.

I do plan on putting an order in once I get some more money soon (tax season) for the arctic playmat, a starter, and a kicker for each of the factions in the starter (flamewalkers and treefolk I believe) so that way I can have my ideal demo-kit together. I think it's critical that having the 2 kickers when 2 players sit down in front of each other that they see what can come in the kickers.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good thoughts! It is always important to know your prospective players.

I agree that we will need something for rewards at some point, but it is a little early to do it until sales pick up some. I'm open to levels of expectation here. Discounts? Promotions? Exclusives?

However, that's why i've avoided using the word REP right now. We need to start by highlighting and celebrating those who do things for the game and not for the reward.
The God of Myth
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely.

I agree 100%, as for the rewards as I said that's something further down the line in comparison to now.

I am attempting to really push for this in my local community so we'll see how that goes. Please let me know if you have anything to add or comment on anything else I've mentioned above.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, its Firewalkers, not Flamewalkers, but you were close.

I think starting with a starter is a good idea. What are your thoughts for having an extra kicker of those two races? just to show more variety?
The God of Myth
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show them what to expect in a kicker, I would put them back in the kicker to recycle for future demos, plastic zip baggies are great for this.

Also once they play a game, each player can open them and add to the army or keep the same point count and swap out, give them a little experience with sudo-army building. I think that having the experience of playing with the base starter and then having a second go at it with some variety is helpful to understand the idea of building/customizing after a game to try something else after trying the basic setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Looking for other players? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: