SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Points Costs for Magic Items in 4.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - 4.0 and Later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulvonscott
dragonmount

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:02 am GMT    Post subject: Points Costs for Magic Items in 4.0 Reply with quote

Hi there, I generally like the new rules/points for magic items.

I agree they should be cheaper than units to make them worth playing. I never could bring myself to play them much as they cost the same as a unit but I knew I could lose them and they would get buried quite easily and be out of the game for good. So the points cost changes I generally support.

But, I did wonder if the small items aren't as reasonably priced as the others?

Medium Ones are buy one, get one half price. 2 points for one item or 3 points for two items.

Artefacts are 3 points.

Large are 2 points each.

Small are 1 point each.

Which begs the question, are three small items really equivalent to an artefact or two small items the same worth as one large item?

Should small items have a special offer on them as well. Buy two get one free (i.e. one small item is 1 point, but you can get three small items for 2 points).

I'm not saying this should happen, or even if it is a good idea, I just wondered what people thought?

Cheers Smile

Paul
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small items were always a much better "bargain" than other items. Under the old rules, you seldom saw anything but small items played. The reason is the icon distribution, which TSR was careless about. Looking at the average number of icons expected per point of cost, even with the new costs. (For this analysis, I'm counting medium items as costing 1.5.)

Small: 1.5
Medium: 1.33 (For a single medium, it's 1.)
Large: 1 (BUT they get an SAI on the 4th face)
Artifacts: 1 (with a 1/5 chance of an SAI an an ID)

Small items get their value in their better average-per-health rolls. Mediums give slightly less effect, but require fewer potential carriers. Large and artifacts make up for fewer points-per-health with SAIs.

So an artifact will average 4 points of effect for its cost of 4, but with a chance of SAIs and an ID results, but also without having all sides of a single result. Four small items will average 6 points of effect, with no SAI or ID chance but also no "different" results. So it depends on what you want to achieve, but 4 small items can be the equal or superior to an artifact
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paulvonscott
dragonmount

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all well-reasoned, backed up with stats, comments Smile

All the best

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - 4.0 and Later All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: