SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products
 
 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Developing that elusive player base...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Retailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 666
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Developing that elusive player base... Reply with quote

Hee hee, I get the very first post! Laughing

Having owned my little Dragon Dice™ Outlet for only a few weeks, I'm amazed that in such a short time I've managed to grow a decent group of repeat customers. I don't mean the single nerd that buys a kicker every week, but seriously dedicated players who are coming in to drop $50-$100 at a time.

We have a table out front for demonstrations, and whenever a game is in progress we draw a large crowd, which (if there's two of us working), makes one of us stand there and answer the same questions over and over again. Not that we mind though.

Before opening I tried to come up with some ways of getting people to come to our store, and came up with the ever-popular, "FREEBIE" idea. Gathering what I call 'trash dice" from my own and other people's collections (thanks to all who helped out!), we then handed out coupons to shoppers allowing them to draw a free die from a box with only a small opening on top. The coupons were a massive failure, but the box was a hit. We eventually just started asking passers-by if they'd like a free game piece, and the result was that kids and teens would stop, get their piece, have us identify and value it, and then they'd ask questions about the game. 7 out of 10 are willing to watch or play a demo game. 4 out of 10 go on to purchase a starter.

I want that last figure to get bigger. I want 7 or 8 out of 10, not 4. Anyone have any ideas beyond what I'm already doing to accomplish this goal?

Finally, an Unseelie Fairy has been sighted in Colorado. Yesterday my friend and Major-demo (spelled that way intentionally, he's a great demonstrator), Wes bought all but two of my Scalder kickers. He pulled the usual stuff, Charkins, Dragonne Knights, Ettercaps and Web Birds. He was about to get the last two when a customer came in and purchased them. He shrugged it off with a grin (knowing I can always get more), until they opened the kickers.

"What's this one?" they asked, handing me the die.

I took a look, and resisted temptation. "Holy cow," I exclaimed, "you got an Unseelie."

Wes began pounding his head against the wall. Literally. I mean, hard enough to knock stuff off it. It was hilarious.

Much as we both would have loved to get that die, I was pleased a customer got it. Shortly thereafter I was rushed by people wanting to buy Treefolk and Frostwings, looking for rare dice. Three Bear Masters and a Magi (that makes 2 from my place), were found. Our customers know that we run an honest business (no opening of kickers and resealing them), and that will keep them coming back for more.

Man, is this fun!

Laughing
_________________
The Maj

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 704
Location: Atlanta. GA

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Developing that elusive player base... Reply with quote

Majiken wrote:
Hee hee, I get the very first post! Laughing

Having owned my little Dragon Dice™™ Outlet for only a few weeks, I'm amazed that in such a short time I've managed to grow a decent group of repeat customers. I don't mean the single nerd that buys a kicker every week, but seriously dedicated players who are coming in to drop $50-$100 at a time.

We have a table out front for demonstrations, and whenever a game is in progress we draw a large crowd, which (if there's two of us working), makes one of us stand there and answer the same questions over and over again. Not that we mind though.

Before opening I tried to come up with some ways of getting people to come to our store, and came up with the ever-popular, "FREEBIE" idea. Gathering what I call 'trash dice" from my own and other people's collections (thanks to all who helped out!), we then handed out coupons to shoppers allowing them to draw a free die from a box with only a small opening on top. The coupons were a massive failure, but the box was a hit. We eventually just started asking passers-by if they'd like a free game piece, and the result was that kids and teens would stop, get their piece, have us identify and value it, and then they'd ask questions about the game. 7 out of 10 are willing to watch or play a demo game. 4 out of 10 go on to purchase a starter.

I want that last figure to get bigger. I want 7 or 8 out of 10, not 4. Anyone have any ideas beyond what I'm already doing to accomplish this goal?

Finally, an Unseelie Fairy has been sighted in Colorado. Yesterday my friend and Major-demo (spelled that way intentionally, he's a great demonstrator), Wes bought all but two of my Scalder kickers. He pulled the usual stuff, Charkins, Dragonne Knights, Ettercaps and Web Birds. He was about to get the last two when a customer came in and purchased them. He shrugged it off with a grin (knowing I can always get more), until they opened the kickers.

"What's this one?" they asked, handing me the die.

I took a look, and resisted temptation. "Holy cow," I exclaimed, "you got an Unseelie."

Wes began pounding his head against the wall. Literally. I mean, hard enough to knock stuff off it. It was hilarious.

Much as we both would have loved to get that die, I was pleased a customer got it. Shortly thereafter I was rushed by people wanting to buy Treefolk™ and Frostwings, looking for rare dice. Three Bear Masters and a Magi (that makes 2 from my place), were found. Our customers know that we run an honest business (no opening of kickers and resealing them), and that will keep them coming back for more.

Man, is this fun!

Laughing


That sounds like a great experience, keep up the good work. Your ideas for bringing traffic into the shop is great. Getting 4 out of 10 to buy is huge! Most marketing departments would be envious, when they are looking for 1 out of 100 to buy. The most important aspect is having people playing the game, the more people playing the better.

Scott C
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaulH_eh
common



Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 137
Location: Denver, CO

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

What are the hours of your shop? I might have to take a little road trip down I-25 and visit the shop one day here soon.

Paul
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaulH_eh
common



Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 137
Location: Denver, CO

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i might be in that area on Friday. You should post the address to your store or some directions and I'll stop in...

Paul
_________________
One mile of highway will take you one mile. One mile of runway will take you anywhere in the world!!!!!!
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 666
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:05 am GMT    Post subject: Not this year... Reply with quote

PaulH_eh wrote:
Hey i might be in that area on Friday. You should post the address to your store or some directions and I'll stop in...
Paul


Don't waste a trip. The flea market isn't open on Friday's, and besides, I did not reopen the shop this year. I kept it open last year until I broke my leg in December, then I was pretty much forced into closing it until spring. When I was informed that there were no more starters (and since the shop sold DD and nothing else), there wasn't much point to re-opening. Sad

Now that the 'new' starters are about to be released, I will definitely be opening back up in April.

See you then!
_________________
The Maj

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
PaulH_eh
common



Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 137
Location: Denver, CO

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh well my sister was going down there to visit a friend who moved to Colorado Springs and I was going to drive her there... I figured it would be good to get some more dice since i only have 115 hehehehe but sorry to hear about that. I will definitely stop by when you open it back up though!

Paul
_________________
One mile of highway will take you one mile. One mile of runway will take you anywhere in the world!!!!!!
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raphael Pacheco Soto
dragonfoal



Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Location: Guayanilla,P.R.

puertorico.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Elusive gamers Reply with quote

Have any of you ever thought about how many players that got the old T.S.R. version are rediscovering the game? This game needs more promotion. If I hadn't discovered this place by mere accident I would be stuck with 4Th Edition A.D.&D. game. I no longer buy W.o.T.C. cards. and my collection is from 1993-4 to 2006-7.
_________________
Love your game for the sake of it -
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
Jace Thomas
common



Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 114
Location: Centralia, WA

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:15 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Elusive gamers Reply with quote

Raphael Pacheco Soto wrote:
Have any of you ever thought about how many players that got the old T.S.R. version are rediscovering the game? This game needs more promotion. If I hadn't discovered this place by mere accident I would be stuck with 4Th Edition A.D.&D. game. I no longer buy W.o.T.C. cards. and my collection is from 1993-4 to 2006-7.
Oh, believe me, I definitely have Very Happy It's one of the main reasons I love giving my time to demo the game so much, nothing quite beats the look of shock on someone's face when they see a booth for a game that they think has been dead for over 10 years Mr. Green
_________________
Alea iacta est.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 10777
Location: Cumming, GA - USA

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:55 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Elusive gamers Reply with quote

Raphael Pacheco Soto wrote:
This game needs more promotion.
I agree, so let me ask. Where do YOU learn about new games? If we waste money on Ads that the right people don't see, then it does us no good.
_________________
Multiplayer Champion Gencon11/Battlefest Champion(tied) GenCon10/World Champion GenCon07/National Champion Origins05/Intermediate Champion GenCon02/Novice Champion Origins99
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
DialFforFunky
rare



Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 1992
Location: Groningen

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to this site by googling for Dragon Dice™. I was looking for a bit of nostalgia, but found quite a bit more.

As for ad's: all the people around here tend to be a bit dice-crazy. Perhaps the best shot for 'ads' is to get friendly with big dice-producing companies, getting links towards this site on theirs. Chessex is quite big in Europe, if you could get on their site it might help. Or something like thediceshoponline.com?


F
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
dutchjohn
common



Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 328
Location: Tilburg, NL

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well me I got in touch with the game just before the big dump (cases of starters and kickers for the price of 1) and was stupid enough to buy just one starter (Doh).

I got renewed on a local game convention of the nation wide game club called ducosim (nation wide yes but remember the netherlands is small say big as twice the size of hawaii about 40 000 square kliks)
and I also saw it at zuiderspel got right on them and started collecting right after I beat the stand owner and his wife (yes a three way game and immediately I won...well I was allowed to win)

In the US big shows are the way to go in europe the only big show to go is SPIEL in germany.

for europe I guess developing should be on local shows but expect revenues to pay after the show because buying the first pack will get you hooked. At least if you played.

Dial F would you like to talk about getting a showdown at the next ducosim gathering and maybe zuiderspel and/or noorderspel?

and of course the dutch championship sealed. (do I hear price support)

cheers,
John
_________________
tumble tumble little dice, look at that I'll strike you twice
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
DialFforFunky
rare



Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 1992
Location: Groningen

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:08 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchjohn wrote:
Dial F would you like to talk about getting a showdown at the next ducosim gathering and maybe zuiderspel and/or noorderspel?

and of course the dutch championship sealed. (do I hear price support)


That would be amazing. You bet I'll be there!


F
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
Cyborgsgaming
Newbie



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Location: Wyoming

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the original date on this was 2005. I wonder, were you around in I think 1999 or so? I think I may have been to your booth before. Now of course I own my own game store in Cheyenne, WY and Dragon Dice™ does pretty good here. Just today I had another customer amazed that Dragon Dice™ were still around. I showed him my collection and we talked a bit about it. He didn't buy any though. No complaints about that since he spent over $60 on WH40k and paints.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 10777
Location: Cumming, GA - USA

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly Majiken doesn't post much any more due to some life changes that happened to him.

however, it is very likely you saw Scott Cobbs back in 1999 at a convention or three.
_________________
Multiplayer Champion Gencon11/Battlefest Champion(tied) GenCon10/World Champion GenCon07/National Champion Origins05/Intermediate Champion GenCon02/Novice Champion Origins99
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Retailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group