SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products
 
 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masters....still no unique ability.

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BBrauser
dragonsteed



Joined: 25 Aug 2005
Posts: 60

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:33 am GMT    Post subject: Masters....still no unique ability. Reply with quote

The dragon masters still lack a benefits that is wholly theirs:

Slayer
Benefits unique to slayers:
Immune to any dragon Breath
Kill any color of Dragon

Hunter
Immune to just one color of dragon breath
Carry one color
TSR logo counts as a two point ID icon
Benefit unique to hunters: Kill one color of Dragon BUT BANISHES IT

Lord
Benefits unique to slayers:
Tame any color Dragon


Master
Cast one color
Tame one color
Carry one color
TSR logo counts as a two point ID icon
Benefit unique to masters: NONE


My suggestion: as the hunters ability is tied into its dragon killing skill, then the Master should have something unique tied to its taming skill, I propose that when a master tame a dragon, and since the dragon has to match its color, then the bond between master and dragon should be stronger. Therefore make a dragon who has been tamed by a master immune to the dragon summoning spell and dragon champions ability of summoning the dragon out of the Master's control. the master would still loose control of the tame dragon from all the rest of the ways: dragon killed, master killed, master moves to reserves, or master moves to another terrain and leaves dragon behind.
_________________
Bryan Brauser
-Self-proclamed Agnoiologist-
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
BBrauser
dragonsteed



Joined: 25 Aug 2005
Posts: 60

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:31 am GMT    Post subject: no replies? Reply with quote

5 months and not one reply?

Am I really the only one who sees Dragon Masters as broken?

I have new players all the time ask me why would they bother using a dragon master over a dragon lord? the answer can't be "the 2 point ID" cause the dragon hunters already have this. The dragon Masters have nothing to make them special, they are just dumbed down dragon Lords.

I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying to the new players "your right, no real reason to spend the money buying the dragon masters" you can spend the extra 4 points and have a dragon lord and dragon hunter and be able to do everything and more that a dragon master can do.
_________________
Bryan Brauser
-Self-proclamed Agnoiologist-
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
bjones
Newbie



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 2
Location: Wichita, KS

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:33 am GMT    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

As a new player, I was wondering about this myself. I can't see any reason to expand my collection to include the Dragon Masters for any reason other than to say "I have all of the Dragon Masters". I would never use them in a game since the Dragon Lord is superior.

I agree with BBrauser. Add some unique ability to the Dragon Masters to make them interesting to play. I believe his suggestion would be a great addition to the Dragon Masters, and would add depth to these dice. I would not buy and Dragon Master Dice as they are, but would gladly spend the money if they had a stronger "Tame" or other special ability.

Burke Jones
_________________
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a psychopath who knows where you live."

--Damian Conway
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin



Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 9144
Location: Evanston, IL

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no reply because rules changes are not posted until the rules are actually changed. We are considering this rule change, and we are finalizing the rules changes for this year right now.
_________________
You can never have too many dice.
First Place at the first ever Daemon Diceâ„¢ sealed starter tournament.
Battlefest tied for first GenCon 2012
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 704
Location: Atlanta. GA

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 2 point ID is stronger than you think especially for the Masters. This gives them a 50% chance for magic of a specific color, but it will be at least 4 points of magic. Compared to only 33% of magic for the Lord. That is a major strength of the Master compared to the Lord. The fact limitation of taming only one color of dragon makes up for the 17% in magic generation in my eyes. In addition the 2 point ID makes Masters better at Maneuvering and melee than the lords.

I agree that it would be nice to differentiate the Masters from the Lord a little more like the Slayer vs the Hunter, but when it comes down to it the Master is actually a better die than the lord. Trust me, I used 4 masters in my worlds army and they worked great.

Scott C
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arkain
dragonsteed



Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 74
Location: Western PA.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Chuck, perhaps we could get a "teaser" of said possible changes to the rules... nothing specific unless you want to.... for example....

We are considering changing the SAI of this because....
<topic-wise> We are considering adding a unique attribute to this...

Again, I would love to see what you are "thinking" about doing. Even if the changes don't go into play, it's sometimes nice to see what points were "considered".
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group